Need help finding right cans for me(first pair)
Dec 23, 2010 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

damagedhearing

New Head-Fier
Budget: $150 (I would love to stay around $100 !! )

Running off Denon AVR-1910

Used for:
1. TV at night, usually movies or DVR'd shows.
2. Music at night(hip hop, rock, motown)
3. Droid X phones in some circumstances(have sennheiser 300 buds currently)
**Will get ~2hrs of use per night, so need them to be at least average in comfortability.(don't need to be super plush)

Need a cord that is at least 8' and prefer straight. 
*Would love a detachable unit that would allow for different cables, but this is down on the list I have below.....

Wants:
1. Great, powerful bass that isn't muddy(stickler for deep, powerful and accurate---run a 15" in a 6' sealed that I built in ht room that is small and
     grew up on JL's best on good Zapco power)
2. VERY non-fatiguing high end(unfortunately I fatigue very rapidly with revealing speakers and would expect the same here and that   
    completely ruins my experience and causes tinnitus)
--So laid back, muffled, crippled, etc. top end :frowning2: (I have heard speakers many times outside of my budget that still caused this just fyi)
3. I suppose high efficiency due to running of Denon and Droid X for their lifetime.
4. Decently comfortable for ~2hrs
5. Decent Speech performance for tv and movies
5. * detacheable and interchangeable cables(just an extra not needed)

Don't Care:
1. Looks (unless highlighter colors I'm good)
2. Brand

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 9
Denon D1100 (might need to get an extension cable), D2000. The first pair is portable the second a fulll size headphone. They both benefit from an amp but will fine without one. The D1100 will likely be more efficient.

ATH-M50 will have slightly less bass than the D1100 but is supposed to be a good punchy bass.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 9
I think the M50 would be the better balanced of the two. My only concern is which would be less fatiguing so hopefully you get some responses from others as well. I could tell you a few great non fatiguing IEM more easily as I have more experience in that realm.

Actually you might want to also read up on the Fischer FA-004 (do a quick search) I believe it is supposed to have a nice bass and is also supposed to be non-fatiguing with good midrange and retails for around $70 I believe at budgen audio. For it's price you might have enough left over for a small portable amp to help drive the headphones a bit better from your DroidX.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 9
D1100 should satisfy your needs perfectly I think, mids could possibly be slightly less recessed though. But highs are held back and and bass is punchy/decays quite fast and it's very comfortable, no prob wearing it for several hours. Except for the mids I think you'll be very happy with it but don't get me wrong, the speech sounds actually quite good when I hooked them up to my parent's Panasonic Plasma TV, it possibly sounded better than it did from my computer (vocals were more distant, not an issue from the TV though!). It's also very easily driven so any TV should drive it just fine. It suprises me how different some headphones sound from different sources, my AKG K 518 DJs were similar, sounded poor from my computer soundcard but sounded better when hooked up to my TV, D1100 looks to be the same and they actually have a very similar sound. The sound directions came out perfectly clear as well when hooked up to the TV, especially when I watched some sports (skiing), the crowd cheering in the back felt very realistic and had a clear distant feel to it like the sound was very broad so yea these should be good for your TV listening and music listening needs at late night.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks, I hope so too!
......but, I will be powering them with my Denon 1910 7.1ch AVR, not my t.v.
The Denon has a decent manual EQ as well to play with.

I hope they impress with music as well, I rarely listen to classical but I do enjoy hearing good voicing from artists like Aretha and similar vocalists.

Worst case scenario I discover what I do and don't like about them which will help me with any future purchase, not a bad price either and they will be here tomorrow!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back