Need help finding good over-ear headphones that are portable and can be used when walking around
Jan 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 42
KRK KNS8400 + short cable.  I think they sound very similar to the M50.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #18 of 42
Alright, now I've got about six different headphones, and no clear decision between them so I want to set up a comparison between them to declare a winner. If everyone could rank these six headphones on four criteria that are important for my headphones, I would be eternally grateful.

The six headphones are...
Sennheiser Momentum
Parrot Zik
Sennheiser MM500-X
B&W P5
Logitech UE 6000.
Logitech UE 9000

The criterion for ranking are:
Sound Quality - 40%
Portability and Comfort - 27.5%
Features vs. Price - 25%
Style - 7.5%

EDIT: I am going to be posting this as a separate thread to separate scores from reviews and opinions.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/644690/headphone-deathmatch

EDIT 2: Replaced RS 220 with Momentums

EDIT 3: I forgot to mention that where my music library is concerned about half of it is electronic, techno, or dubstep, while the other half is acoustic, rock or instrumental

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 42
Sennheiser RS:
Sound Quality: 8/10(laid back highs & upper mids)
Portability: 0/10 (it's a home wireless headphone)
Comfort: 10/10 (AWESOME Sennheiser Velour pads)
Features vs price: 7/10(wireless signal issue when too much wireless going on.
Style: 9/10(never seen anything look so high class.)

UE6000:
Sound Quality: 7/10(Recessed mids & soundstage will narrow down when in Active mode.)
Portability: 8/10(Nice!)
Comfort: 6/10(Gets steamy after sometimes
Features vs price: 7/10(Decent noise isolation, detachable cable)
Style: 8/10(Stylish but mostly plastic.

UE9000 has similar sound to UE6000 but just a ted less clear.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:
UE6000:
Sound Quality: 5/10(Recessed mids)
Portability: 8/10(Nice!)
Comfort: 6/10(Gets steamy after sometimes
Features vs price: 7/10(Decent noise isolation, detachable cable)
Style: 8/10(Stylish but mostly plastic.
UE9000 as similar sound to UE6000 but just a ted less clear.

Was the 5 on Sound Quality because the mids were terrible and everything was good, or was everything decent and the mids were just a little recessed..?

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #21 of 42
I got to A/B the P5's and the MOMENTUM today, and ultimately decided to go with the Senns. I really liked the P5's, but the MOMENTUM just soundy more punchy and energetic. I have the KNS-8400, but the cord is like 100ft long. The MOMENTUM reminds me of my 8400, but has a iDevice friendly cord, and seems to have a better soundstage than my 8400.

If you can go to a Magnolia room, see if they'll let you A/B the P5's and the Momentum.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #22 of 42
    Was the 5 on Sound Quality because the mids were terrible and everything was good, or was everything decent and the mids were just a little recessed..?

It lacks that "clean" sound compared to headphones that is in it's price range like the MOMENTUM for example & the mids are too recessed. Just so you know, I'm a warm mids-head & recessed mids will literally pull down the score. :)

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

It lacks that "clean" sound compared to headphones that is in it's price range like the MOMENTUM for example & the mids are too recessed. Just so you know, I'm a warm mids-head & recessed mids will literally pull down the score. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree that the UE6000 has recessed mids, but the quality of the sound wasn't bad. 
Giving a 5/10 is too harsh considering you're rating based on timbre/flavour instead of quality/fidelity, which it doesn't lack.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #25 of 42
Could anyone here help me with a decision between the Parrot Zik's and the Logitech UE 9000's?

Edit: for more info, I'm looking for wireless and heard these were two of the best, and I would be using them for equal parts electronic and acoustic

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:
Could anyone here help me with a decision between the Parrot Zik's and the Logitech UE 9000's?

Edit: for more info, I'm looking for wireless and heard these were two of the best, and I would be using them for equal parts electronic and acoustic

look at the Harman kardon BT, only passive nr but closed and looks good, sounds good. Great battery life too.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 42
I'm thinking I gathered up all the problems for the Parrot Zik's and the UE 9000's according to reviews from all over the internet

Parrot Zik
- Low Battery Life (6 hours with all features enabled)
- Dependant on the App to make them sound good
- When plugged in with 3.5mm cable audio quality take a big hit
- Random pauses while listening to music
- Talking while using the microphone sounds muffled

Logitech UE 9000
- Audio leakage
- Battery power needed whether using them wireless or wired
- Very bass-heavy
- Heavier than most headphones

The UE 9000's seem to have less flaws, though some of them are more serious than the flaws that the Zik's suffer from, is there anyone out there who has tried one or both and can comment on these supposed problems?

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #28 of 42
Decision Made!
I'm going to stop worrying about the small stuff, since I'm recently seen reviews saying that the audio leakage on the UE 9000's is minimal, so I've just decided to go with those since they seem better in most ways compared to the Zik's though gizmodo seems to think the Zik's are better than the UE 9000's and the Sennheiser MM550-X, though I think that was because of all the Zik's cool features, which to me don't seem worth it if you don't have good audio quality...

I figure, worst case scenario, if the UE 9000's aren't what I'm looking for, I can always return them and get the Zik's instead, and if those don't measure up, do the same; hopefully one last time; and settle on some simpler, wired Sennheiser Momentums.

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 42
i am not sure which headphone to get...
I am looking for a very good pair of Over ear headphones that will be used at home and on the go (car, subway, public, areas etc.) which are under $500, for me the sound quality and comfort is the most important as well as bit of sound isolation
these are my genres
electro ,classical, jazz, brit pop, rock, dubstep, pop and easy.
Therefore i would like them to have a good clear sound with rich bass and nice clarity, but not too dark more bright and fun.
these will only be used for listening to music.

I think I will do better with closed back headphones because of some noisy locations but overall for at home use.
here are some brands i am considering 

Beyerdynamic 
Denon 
Sennheiser 
AKG
Shure
Grado

I am open to other brands too...
I think i should get the denon ah d600, not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back