Need help finding good over-ear headphones that are portable and can be used when walking around
Jan 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Aslfrasle

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones that I could wear while walking to and from college classes, out shopping, or walking around. I currently have a pair of ATH m50's; that I love using with my laptop; though with the long cord they are not very pleasant to walk around with as the extra long cord bounces everywhere...

I currently trying to decide between Sennheiser mm500x, the Parrot Zik, and B&W P5's, though it does not have to be one of these as I am just looking for comfortable, portable, headphones with roughly similar SQ to the m50's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 42
i dont see why more people dont get more DT770's
Especially if you get them with a custom paint job or something.
these are a little big, but very light and imo the most comfortable pair of headphones ever.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones that I could wear while walking to and from college classes, out shopping, or walking around. I currently have a pair of ATH m50's; that I love using with my laptop; though with the long cord they are not very pleasant to walk around with as the extra long cord bounces everywhere...
I currently trying to decide between Sennheiser mm500x, the Parrot Zik, and B&W P5's, though it does not have to be one of these as I am just looking for comfortable, portable, headphones with roughly similar SQ to the m50's.

JVC HA-S500-Z (Gun Metal Gray) headphones, ships from Japan for around $77.
Folded up nicely.
You can get different types of ear pads for them for around $15 a pair.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 42

i dont see why more people dont get more DT770's
Especially if you get them with a custom paint job or something.
these are a little big, but very light and imo the most comfortable pair of headphones ever.

The DT770's do look very cool, though they have the same 'really long cable' that makes the ATH-M50's I already have unpleasant to walk around with...

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 42
I never really think about the cable. its shorter than the Grado cable that's for sure. and coiled so if it bothers you, you can stuff it in your pocket :wink:

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #10 of 42
:cool:Hi there! For your needs, I would recommend Momentum or MDR-1R. Both are great headphones. As for which one are better. Really depends. I personally prefer 1R over momentum, Tyll prefer Momentum & Jude prefer 1R. Some prefer M100 over these two. You will have to try it yourself. If you are looking for wireless headphones, sorry! I never audition any except RS220 :xf_eek:

Anyway, good luck with your searching! :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:
I would recommend Momentum or MDR-1R. Both are great headphones. 

+1
I got the Momentum as I preferred its smooth relaxed sound over the R1's slightly more energetic sound.
You should also check out the UE6000 

P5 sounded absolutely horrible on my ears. I prefer a couple of >$50 headphones to the P5 (koss portapro & Senn HD419)

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 42
With me the P5 wasnt offensive to my ears, apart from maybe the highs a bit.
i just found them vastly overpriced.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 42
Right now I'm thinking I might get either the m100's or the UE6000's, though the momentums seem like they are more for everyone as opposed to bassheads. I feel that I should mention though that most of the music I listen to is either electronic, dubstep, or techno, though I do have a good deal of acoustic and 'non-bass heavy' music as well, so I was wondering should I go for basshead headphones like the m100's or the UE6000's, or more all-around headphones like the momentums?

Edit: Also I was wondering what the general consensus towards the Sennheiser RS 220 or the Sony MDR-1RBT was, and whether they would be good for the type of music listed above?

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 42
I would get the UE6000 over the Momentum if it was purely for electronic. I like electronic on the Momentum, but it doesn't have that 'sub woofer in your head' experience that others (including UE6000) do better at.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 42
I would get the UE6000 over the Momentum if it was purely for electronic. I like electronic on the Momentum, but it doesn't have that 'sub woofer in your head' experience that others (including UE6000) do better at.

I was wondering whether the ue9000's would be better as they could be more portable since they can be wired or wireless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back