Need help finding digital camera forum...
Jul 22, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #46 of 66
EsthetiX, like I said earlier, before you go ahead and buy a DSLR just based on what others have said, do yourself a favor and go to a store like Best Buy and play around with their DSLR selection (or a local camera store if you have one). I think it's CRUCIAL to handle and toy around with different DSLRs in order to make sure you like it.

You're going to be spending a lot of money on it in the long run, so why not go out and handle it before you buy it? It's like test driving a car.

Pick it up, hold it, play with the menu and the controls, take a few shots. Make sure you like the way the camera feels in your hands, the weight of it, the control layout, and the user interface. This is generally where the differences in DSLR bodies lies. Once you find the one you like, get that. It doesn't really matter as much if it's a Nikon or a Canon... they will both take wonderful pictures, most of it depends on the photographer, not the gear.

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #47 of 66
Well, I do intend to purchase used. Also, I intend to get a pretty good deal. Im a hell of an ebayer. Never bought something for less than I can resell (within a reasonable timeframe from purchase date of course). Best buy is probably a good idea as a minor hassle preventative. I don't want to have to buy multiple SLR's. i fully understand what you're saying though. Multiple people have mentioned it. So I know it's important.

anyway, in regards to those dang compacts.. I'm still running around in circles, i keep hearing people say SD800 IS! No! Panasonic LX1... NOO man it's all about Fuji f31fd!! I'm really having a hard time. One of the most difficult decisions I have ever been faced with lol. I think I'm probably just going to buy one of each and resell the one I like less.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #48 of 66
Yah.. DPreview is a pretty annoying forum. The guy who mentioned about it earlier was right. It's basically just a bunch of people bickering over useless stuff and posting noisy over-exposed pictures (that aren't even that good) to try and prove their camera is better than other peoples. hahaa.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alternatively, if you want something small and have excellent image quality, you can get a digital rangefinder such as the Leica M8.

he forgot to mention that you would have to sell your body... hahaha

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

I've done some tests with my SD1000 and D50. To get decent quality out of the compact camera, you need to shoot at impractical speeds like ISO50, and it is too bad that the camera's slowest setting is ISO80. Even then the images do not look as sharp and contrasty as my D50 set to ISO800.

Actually, slower ISO on a digital camera does not always mean better resolution/ less noise. Many camera makers try to expand a sensor's ISO range with software interpretation. A P&S camera is always going to have less range then a dSLR, because the dSLR has a bigger sensor. Likewise, a FF SLR is going to have a brighter and larger viewfinder then a smaller one (and it's Canon...not Nikon that makes those
wink.gif
)

Another note about the Canon IS Elph series: IS won't eliminate the noise from a high ISO. It should help with camera shake, but you'll still have the limitations of a small sensor. Sharpness and contrast also have to do with your lens and exposure settings......so you really can't compare a P&S vs dSLR like that.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you really can't compare a P&S vs dSLR like that.

Oh, but you can....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...1fd/page15.asp

D50 and F31fd... Okay well obviously the d50 does better, but im pretty surprised at how well this little fuji actually does. To be fair though, the f31fd has a much larger sensor than the other compacts out right now. Why dont they all start using sensors like this already?? Sheesh

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, but you can....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...1fd/page15.asp

D50 and F31fd... Okay well obviously the d50 does better, but im pretty surprised at how well this little fuji actually does. To be fair though, the f31fd has a much larger sensor than the other compacts out right now. Why dont they all start using sensors like this already?? Sheesh

The problem is the megapixel race. Many cameras do use the same size sensor (though not FujiFilm's unusual hexagonal sensor), but they increase the resolution because it sells cameras. The problem is that the amount of light photons falling per pixel area in a given amount of time thus decreases.

This is one of the reasons the F31fd is such a classic. The engineers resisted the megapixel race, instead delivering a camera that is solid for actual photography. 1600 ISO is perfectly usable, and 3200 ISO is sometimes usable -- both phenomenal for a compact camera, and a stop better than comparative film cameras for most applications. Unfortunately they gave in to marketing with its successor, the F40fd (which also gives up important manual controls like aperture and shutter priority). The F31fd is a camera that can be used without a flash in some very dark conditions. And you can tell the engineers really cared about that, especially with modes like the natural light mode, which tries to take every shot without the flash, and then takes another with the flash as a backup, just in case. Almost invariably, the former turns out better, as of course it should.

This isn't just a camera geek thing. It's sad when people use the previous generation DSLRs to shoot something important like a wedding, and the pictures come out terrible because the engineers prioritized resolution over sensitivity. In many or most cases, those pictures would have been better shot with the F31fd.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

To be fair though, the f31fd has a much larger sensor than the other compacts out right now. Why dont they all start using sensors like this already?? Sheesh

With a larger sensor you need a larger lens.......which needs a larger camera
icon10.gif
Also, Fuji's dSLRs currently have less noise then comparable Nikon SLRs: indicating that their sensors have better sensitivity then equivalent Sony CCDs(which Nikons use). While the f31fd is not using a dSLR sensor, it must use similar technology as the Fuji dSLRs.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #55 of 66
Hey, you know what.. I had not really taken the canon g7 into consideration until just now. It's not too big actually. Anyone have a clue how it would compare the the fuji I am about to order?

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Hey, you know what.. I had not really taken the canon g7 into consideration until just now. It's not too big actually. Anyone have a clue how it would compare the the fuji I am about to order?

The G7 is a good camera. It's sort of in an odd position though, somewhere between a compact and a DSLR in terms of size and price. Once you start spending that much, I think most people would probably be better off spending a bit more and getting an actual DSLR. Also, it doesn't do RAW.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

This is the same image taken by the Nikon D80 (replacement for the D50, very similar camera) using the crappy 18-135mm kit lens:
http://69.93.231.164/PRODS/D80/FULLRES/D80hSLI0400.JPG

The D80 is the replacement for D70 and D40 is the replacement for D50, the D40 takes better picures but has a little slower autofocus and not a built in focus motor as said. But if you don't own any nikkor or nikon compatible lenses then I don't think there is any reason to don't buy D40 the D40 and D40x has got excellent reviews everywhere and there is a lot of lences to buy for it. I think it is solid built and feels just like a Nikon should.

Me myself can't really decide If I should go for D80 or D40x the D80 is way to expensive but nowing myself, in 1-2 years I will upgrade anyway.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The G7 is a good camera. It's sort of in an odd position though, somewhere between a compact and a DSLR in terms of size and price. Once you start spending that much, I think most people would probably be better off spending a bit more and getting an actual DSLR. Also, it doesn't do RAW.

yep great camera --- i know many DSLR users have this as their "compact" backup camera though, so i wouldn't discount it on that --- if you can afford this on top of your DSLR... i'd say go for it

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll second fred miranda --- this forum covers all companies and isn't tailored specifically for canon owners or nikon owners or blah blah. since cotdt gave you a couple nikon forums... i'll throw out a canon one:

www.photography-on-the.net/forum

Excellent site! Of course, its geared toward Canon, but if thats what you have, its great.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent site! Of course, its geared toward Canon, but if thats what you have, its great.

Not really, these guys just hoard expensive gear and if you look at the pictures they take, not nearly as breathtaking as the pictures posted on the Nikon forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back