Need help finding digital camera forum...
Jul 21, 2007 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

EsthetiX

1000+ Head-Fier
I need a serious forum for digital cameras. Kinda like how head-fi is serious about sound. Not some cheesy c-net review forum. Serious photographers. I need help deciding between a new compact digital and SLR.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 66
if you're serious about photography, get a DSLR. a compact camera is our equivalent of integrated sound, or a cheap portable unamped rig. these sites have good forums:

nikoncafe.com
nikonians.org

there's a HUGE difference in image quality between a compact camera and DSLR with a good lens. some review sites seem to suggest that there is little to no difference in image quality, but let me tell you that the difference is huge.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 66
well, i kind of need an SLR AND a compact. There are times where a compact is just more reasonable.

I was thinking D40 and Cannon SD800 IS... Really dunno though. I'm at a loss with conflicting information all over the web. Thanks for the links. Heading there now....

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 66
those forums are mostly geared toward nikons though.. Im looking for something more impartial.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i kind of need an SLR AND a compact. There are times where a compact is just more reasonable.

I was thinking D40 and Cannon SD800... Really dunno though. I'm at a loss with conflicting information all over the web. Thanks for the links. Heading there now....

I have the 10MP Canon SD1000 and it is pretty good for a compact camera although the images are pretty noisy by my standards. I would recommend the SD800IS because image stabilization is useful.

Why D40? It is not even compatible with most existing lenses, especially prime lenses. A better choice would be a D50 or D80 IMHO. I'm a big Nikon fan. The controls are so much more intuitive and the camera body is built nicely. There is a big, bright viewfinder unlike the Canons. Also, you can get the 18-200VR superzoom which is not available to Canon shooters.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #7 of 66
i'll second fred miranda --- this forum covers all companies and isn't tailored specifically for canon owners or nikon owners or blah blah. since cotdt gave you a couple nikon forums... i'll throw out a canon one:

www.photography-on-the.net/forum

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 66
fred miranda I'd say is way better than dpreview.. unless you browse only the 1D and nikon equivalent forums on dpreview. Basically, on dpreview, all the photographers with cameras under 2-3k just talk about gear and take horrible photos. All they do is talk about trivial gear issues.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why D40? It is not even compatible with most existing lenses, especially prime lenses. A better choice would be a D50 or D80 IMHO. I'm a big Nikon fan. The controls are so much more intuitive and the camera body is built nicely. There is a big, bright viewfinder unlike the Canons. Also, you can get the 18-200VR superzoom which is not available to Canon shooters.

Size and price. I'm getting both SLR and a nice compact so I can't drop top dollar on both. Also, said that because I'm a total noob and have no idea what prime lenses are and when you say d40 lacks compatibility with existing lenses can you be more specific? What will I be missing out on. Never took those factors into consideration since I never knew about them. I don't plan to have a huge collection of expensive lenses and all kinds of crazy stuff. Just the basics for now. Maybe when I upgrade I will switch to a high end SLR but for now I am just a beginner.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Size and price. I'm getting both SLR and a nice compact so I can't drop top dollar on both. Also, said that because I'm a total noob and have no idea what prime lenses are or what you mean by compatibility with existing lenses. Never took those factors into consideration since I never knew about them. I don't plan to have a huge collection of expensive lenses and all kinds of crazy stuff. Just the basics for now. Maybe when I upgrade I will switch to a high end SLR but for now I am just a beginner.

The D40 has no internal motor and cannot autofocus with most existing lenses. Only a few lenses can autofocus on the D40. Also, I don't know if the D40 is compatible with standalone flash systems like the SB600.

Many people say that the lens is even more important than the camera itself. They have an impact on the sharpness and color, the constrast, how bright your viewfinder is, how much background blur/depth of field, the angle of view, the focal length, the perspective, the speed the camera takes the picture at, etc. So if your photography ends up getting more serious, you'll likely end up spending far more on the lenses than you ever did on the camera. Otherwise it's like buying a tube amp but only ever using the stock tubes.

Prime lenses are lenses that do not zoom. They tend to be sharper and have better quality than zoom lenses. Some people say this is no longer true, but I did my own tests and yes the prime lenses are still superior.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 66
Wow, you are very knowledgeable. So is there anything you can recommend for me at below $600 (camera + good starter lens)? I am able to find the D40 for 450 on ebay with lens but I guess this isn't my best option

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

So is there anything you can recommend for me at below $600 (camera + good starter lens)?

It depends if you're willing to buy used. I bought my Nikon D50 and a 50mm f/1.8 lens for $500, but it was relatively new. You can find this same deal for $400 now. But for a starter lens you probably want a zoom lens like the Nikkor 18-55mm or 18-70mm. If you're shooting mostly indoors without flash, or taking night time shots, then you want a fast prime lens like the 50mm f/1.8 which go around for $90 or so. This lens is also better for taking pictures of people because it can blur the backgrounds. And it does not autofocus on the D40, you'll have to get the D50 or D80.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 66
Now I am realizing how much better of an idea the d50 is. I'm looking into it more carefully and it's becoming very obvious.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 66
I was also looking at Pentax K10D. Any thoughts on that?

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 66
You should check out a pentax k100 or k110. They are awsome cameras and they can use all kinds of used old (great but mostly manual) pentax lenses. You can get them with the kit lens for 400-500$. I have a DL and love it (k110 basicaly). Dont get a D40 if your serious about photography tho, the D40 is a dumbed down SLR that will only hold you back.

SLR's have a huge fan base behind each brand, but any SLR (besides a psudu like the D40) will be great honestly.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back