Need help finding digital camera forum...
Jul 21, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 66
if you have the opportunity... try to handle a few DSLRs from a couple companies before you buy. even handle the ones in higher price ranges that you aren't looking into currently... because if you plan to upgrade in the future... it's wise to see if you like the cameras of a certain company all around, to save you from upgrading to a new body from a different company and needing to start all over again with lenses and all that stuff. Make sure you like the feel of the camera (size, weight, shape, ease of access to controls) and the user interface... this is probably the most crucial part in choosing your body in a certain price range IMO. Then buy the one you like best... try not to let the brand influence your decision.

Although I will say stick to either Canon or Nikon as they are the leaders in the DSLR industry and have the most options when it comes to accessories and lenses.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #18 of 66
I love my Pentax *ist DL that I bought last year. I find steve's digicams site very helpful. Also, www.pentaxforums.com has great Pentax specific information.

This is my first DSLR and although it isn't pocketable like my Canon SD700IS, I love the quality and the options (MANUAL VS. AUTOMATIC) that it gives me.

Enjoy.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #19 of 66
FYI - I purchased a lens from Cameta Camera (Amazon) last week and they were very fast in shipping and much cheaper than anyone else.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you are very knowledgeable. So is there anything you can recommend for me at below $600 (camera + good starter lens)? I am able to find the D40 for 450 on ebay with lens but I guess this isn't my best option

I'm not against the D40 for a beginner who only plans on owning one or two zoom lenses. The current zoom lenses most beginners would want have focusing motors, e.g., AF-S 18-55, 18-70, 18-200 VR.

The issue is with prime, or fixed-focal length lenses (i.e., non-zoom.) Unfortunately, pretty much all of these lack an internal motor and will not auto-focus with the D40.

But the question you need to answer first is whether or not you will shoot with primes or zoom lenses. Then you need to ask whether or not you need auto-focus for your prime shooting.

I shoot only with primes, but my father only shoots with zooms. All the lenses my father has (he owns a D200) will autofocus on the D40, namely the 18-70, 18-200 VR and 70-300 VR.

I imagine most consumers, especially beginners, will shoot zooms, which is why I don't think the D40's lack of an internal motor is really that big of a deal. But at the same time, I think everyone who owns a SLR owes it to themselves to shoot primes, at least for a while.

But then again, I also think everyone with primes should shoot entirely manual focus, at least for a while.
biggrin.gif

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
www.dpreview.com

x2

Lightning fast replies.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine most consumers, especially beginners, will shoot zooms, which is why I don't think the D40's lack of an internal motor is really that big of a deal. But at the same time, I think everyone who owns a SLR owes it to themselves to shoot primes, at least for a while.

But then again, I also think everyone with primes should shoot entirely manual focus, at least for a while.
biggrin.gif

Thats why I think a pentax is a great beginner camera. pentax-m 50mm's can be had for 30$ and most other pentax-m's in the same price range. You can get a set of old (but fantastic) MF primes for less than a single nikon prime.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 66
What's great it is that you don't have to be restricted to one brand of lens. Adapters.
biggrin.gif

Canon/Konica Minotla users can't use adapters, I believe. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Pentax/Nikon/Oly/ can interchange certain lens types with the appropriate adapters. You're even given the ability to use old Leica/Contax lenses.

If you use other lens types though, you can't use AF and must use stop down metering. There is no electronical connection between the camera & lenses, whatsoever.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 66
there are some bargain zoom lenses on the nikon side too. i got my Nikkor 35-70mm (the slow one, not the big fast one) for $35. granted, it is not a sharp lens, but it is cheap.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #26 of 66
Alright so I think I'm going to go D50 and DS800 IS That pentax does look like a good option too though.

Now, REALISTICALLY, how much better are pictures on the d50 with a decent lens going to come out? I know there are a lot of variables. I just mean in general.

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright so I think I'm going to go D50 and DS800 IS That pentax does look like a good option too though.

Now, REALISTICALLY, how much better are pictures on the d50 with a decent lens going to come out? I know there are a lot of variables. I just mean in general.

I haven't seen a comparison with a DECENT lens, but I've seen comparisons with the kit lens on the D80.

This is an image taken by the SD800IS:
http://69.93.231.164/PRODS/SD800IS/F...00hSLI0400.JPG

This is the same image taken by the Nikon D80 (replacement for the D50, very similar camera) using the crappy 18-135mm kit lens:
http://69.93.231.164/PRODS/D80/FULLRES/D80hSLI0400.JPG

The prime lenses will be much sharper than the 18-135mm lens (considered the worst of the current Nikon zoom lenses), so it is not even representative of what the DSLRs can do.

I've done some tests with my SD1000 and D50. To get decent quality out of the compact camera, you need to shoot at impractical speeds like ISO50, and it is too bad that the camera's slowest setting is ISO80. Even then the images do not look as sharp and contrasty as my D50 set to ISO800.

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen a comparison with a DECENT lens, but I've seen comparisons with the kit lens on the D80.

This is an image taken by the SD800IS:
http://69.93.231.164/PRODS/SD800IS/F...00hSLI0400.JPG

This is the same image taken by the Nikon D80 (replacement for the D50, very similar camera) using the crappy 18-135mm kit lens:
http://69.93.231.164/PRODS/D80/FULLRES/D80hSLI0400.JPG

The prime lenses will be much sharper than the 18-135mm lens (considered the worst of the current Nikon zoom lenses), so it is not even representative of what the DSLRs can do.

I've done some tests with my SD1000 and D50. To get decent quality out of the compact camera, you need to shoot at impractical speeds like ISO50, and it is too bad that the camera's slowest setting is ISO80. Even then the images do not look as sharp and contrasty as my D50 set to ISO800.

Wow, the SD800 IS looks like trash in comparison. I expected it to look a little bit nicer. I don't know if I even want/need a compact at all now. SD800 IS is supposed to be one of the best in it's range right now. I can't believe how bad that is. LOL

What site did those pics come from (the link doesnt specify any useful clues as to their orgin). I was wondering if there were more comparison pictures. Interesting.

Thanks for all the help you have contributed. You deserve a medal of appreciation!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #30 of 66
high ISO performance on P&S cameras are definitely much worse than in DSLRs, as you can see from the 2 links that cotdt posted above.

but in outdoor daytime conditions, the pictures will look much better. if you plan on shooting inside a lot with your P&S though, expect to see lots of noise as in that test shot. otherwise, it really won't be a huge worry.

also, with your P&S, do you plan on making big prints or something? because once those pictures are reduced in size... the noise will be much less visible and quite tolerable, actually.

but i would tell you that if you don't absolutely see the need for a compact P&S, then don't get one. i made the same plans as you at first (having a DSLR and an ultra-compact P&S for situations when a DSLR isn't practical) but have since found no need for a compact camera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back