need help deciding on whether or not to re-cable my etymotic hf5
Sep 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

breuer

New Head-Fier
Two years ago i bought a pair of etymotic hf5 headphones, i'm no sound expert but i found their sound clear and enjoyable although a bit too soft on the bass department.
In the last few months signs of wear began to appear on the headphones, my dad replaced the connector which fixed the problem for a while but now i'm looking for a long term solution.
Should i re-cable the headphones or simply buy a new pair?

I have a recommendation for a guy who does the re-cabling for about 40$, my budget for new headphones is 80-100$ and i listen mostly to pop, rock. hip hop and other mainstream sounds.
I would like to hear you're thoughts about my decision.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 11
I had a great experience recabling with Brian at BTG-Audio. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Two years ago i bought a pair of etymotic hf5 headphones, i'm no sound expert but i found their sound clear and enjoyable although a bit too soft on the bass department.
In the last few months signs of wear began to appear on the headphones, my dad replaced the connector which fixed the problem for a while but now i'm looking for a long term solution.
Should i re-cable the headphones or simply buy a new pair?

I have a recommendation for a guy who does the re-cabling for about 40$, my budget for new headphones is 80-100$ and i listen mostly to pop, rock. hip hop and other mainstream sounds.
I would like to hear you're thoughts about my decision.

Etymotic has a Buy Back Program for out of warranty broken Ety Products.

It can be found here: http://www.etymotic.com/cs/outwarranty.html

You may want to have a look.

Cheers, Jim

PS Also look up the NRB Mod!!!

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 11
If need more bass and still good clarity then UE TD10pro, Turbine, JVC FX3X are great buy and if need same level clairty of HF5 then RE0 RE-ZERO are recommended.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
If need more bass and still good clarity then UE TD10pro, Turbine, JVC FX3X are great buy and if need same level clairty of HF5 then RE0 RE-ZERO are recommended.

How bout just tailoring the bass with a quick filter swap? No good?

Just curious, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 11
After realizing that re-cabling is not an option I decided to look for a new headphone
My budget is up to 150$ and I'm looking for a set who could match up to the etymotic hf5, what headphones should I consider?

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 11
I will highly recommend the RE0+AMPs but mostly it don"t need AMPs help for more volume reasons from out of many DAPs and other IEMs like Klipsch Image X5, Sony EX600, UE TF10Pro are very detailed yet fun to listen with more bass than HF5.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 11
That's funny, I asked him the same question a few days ago (also for HF5), before seeing this thread.

He did mention to me that he can put a new jack on them, which is the part you had to replace once (same here).  Not to take away your reason (or in my case: excuse) for trying something new, but it's a lot cheaper than new IEMs.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 11
Replacing the jack is simply not an option for me because the right earbud wire is messed up, I decided to buy the audio technica ckm500 i hope it will be a suitable replacment and if not I will wait until November (black Friday) for a good deal on the ue triplefi 10 or something else at this price range.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Replacing the jack is simply not an option for me because the right earbud wire is messed up, I decided to buy the audio technica ckm500 i hope it will be a suitable replacment and if not I will wait until November (black Friday) for a good deal on the ue triplefi 10 or something else at this price range.

That is a highly spoken of IEM.

I hope you enjoy them.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back