Need help deciding, must buy by tomorrow!: JVC HAR-X700 or Sony MDR-XD 400 : For gaming, moves, and music (rock and techno)
Jun 30, 2010 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Mahou86

New Head-Fier
I`ve narrowed it down to these two.  I need a pair of cans primarily for stationary traveling such as on a train or boat for extended periods of time (at least 2 hours minimum).

I`ve been to the electronics store a few times now and listened to both of these being demoed with techno music.  At first the sounded almost identical, but depending on the song, sometimes I found one or the other to be the slightest bit richer. 

I`ll also be using these for a bit of gaming and movie watching, but mostly i`m concerned with getting the best quality out of music. 

I`m kinda leaning towards the HAR-X because of so many raving review, but I wanted a second opinion as I`ve not seen alot of direct comparisons. 

Thank you,
Mahou

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 3
For travel, you'll want something that does not leak sound out so to not bother those near by. The RX700 is not entirely closed and leaks some sound out. I don't know about the Sony leaking sound out.

FWIR, I'd probably want the Sony before the RX700 for a larger sound stage and better highs. Plus, the RX700 would need to be modded to sound near as good - at least the pad and felt mods.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 3
Yea, in my limited tests, the highs is where the Sonys seemed to better the JVCs.  As far as sound isolation, they both seemed about the same.  While some sound leaks out, I don't think either are too terrible.  Definitely not enough to irritate someone else unless I really pump up the volume.  

I think i'm gonna go back to the store today and give it another test go.  They are only about 10 bucks price difference so maybe ill go ahead and get the Sonys. 

Thanks for your advice ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back