Need help deciding between NAD VISO HP50's and Hifiman HE400i
Mar 2, 2018 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

succmangoes

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm a new member to Head-fi, but I've been lurking here for a while. I have experience with some nicer speakers, but not headphones. Unfortunately I won't be able to use my speakers anymore. :disappointed_relieved:

I listen to a lot of different music but focus more on jazz and math/post rock and I've been looking for some cans that clearly deliver vocals and instruments such as guitars. I have a pair of Vsonic's GR07's that I absolutely love for their clean and detailed (fast?) sound, and especially with math rock where the soundscape can get quite busy they keep everything sounding distinct and clear, but I can't keep them in my ears for too long without discomfort so I only enjoy them on the go, for which they are perfect.

I've been looking at headphones in my ~200 USD budget, and settled on either the laid back HP50's or the brighter HE400i's. Since portability is not a concern I guess most people will suggest the open he400i's. However, I heard some people say that they sound a bit hot in the treble region. I know that IEM-headphone comparisons aren't really possible, but considering some also find the gr07 sibilant and I have no issues with their treble at all (I love it), would the he400i possible be to "treble-y"?

Any other cheaper recommendations that perform comparably are welcome, and sorry for the wall of text. :beyersmile:

Edit: Almost forgot to say this... Thank You!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Have not heard the HE4XX but I do own both the HE400i and 400S, which is less bright and slightly more bass-centric than the 400i IMO (though still not a bass cannon). It is out of budget, though. One other headphone you might look into in this price range is the SoundMAGIC HP151. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you as well.

Chances are if you don't find the GR07 sibilant at all that the HE400i will be no problem for you. All just my opinion and of course, YMMV.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 10
I've owned both and you want the 400i or 400s. Clear vocals. The NAD did not do it for me. Plus I'm not a fan of closed cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back