Need Help Choosing!
Dec 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Kesava

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a decent pair of in ear headphones and have narrowed it down to 3 based on price, availability and what I like.

Currently my number one are the Sennheiser CX 500's.
Sennheiser CX500 Bass-Enhanced Earphones - Apple Store (Australia)

I like Sennheiser and these are available in quite a few shops near me.
According to all I have read they lack real quality but aren't all that bad.

Number two are the V-MODA Vibe's.
V-MODA Vibe Earphones for iPod and iPhone - Apple Store (Australia)

I like these the most but all the reviews I have read seem to state that the bass is overpowering and so on. While I do want decent bass, which the CX500's apparently have, I don't want too much. Any experience with these?

Lastly there are the Ultimate Ears metro.fi 2's.
Ultimate Ears metro.fi 2 - Apple Store (Australia)

According to the stuff I have read they have good sound quality and stuff, however I don't like them all that much.

I'm also looking at the new Apple In-Ear headphones which apparently have half decent sound quality.
Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (Australia)

Anyway I guess I'm looking for some decent In Ear Headphones with decent but not overpowering bass. My budget is AUD$100-150.

Thanks for any opinions on the headphones I am considering as well as any suggestions.

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 20
Maybe have a look at buying a pair of UM1's, they go for around $109USD brand new. They were one of my first IEMs, and they were very good!

If you buy from eBay, look for a store called 'FreqCitySound' they sell Westone and ship to Aus.

Oh and yeah, welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet!

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe have a look at buying a pair of UM1's, they go for around $109USD brand new. They were one of my first IEMs, and they were very good!

If you buy from eBay, look for a store called 'FreqCitySound' they sell Westone and ship to Aus.

I can't buy online as I am about to leave Australia and so to get money to my paypal account or whatever and to get it posted to me will just take too long so I can only really get headphones that I can find locally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do u have access to Senn CX95?

Haven't seen then at any shops locally.
They look pretty good though. How much do they retail for?

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 20
A much better list
wink.gif
, the apple store is horribly overpriced sometimes - In Ear earphones at Minidisc Australia (and the page before that)

Can't really give any recommendations though, haven't heard any of those..

EDIT: whoops, just saw that you don't want to buy online.. Well, minidisc does have a pickup option if you're in nsw..

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 20
Which I'm not
smily_headphones1.gif

In reality I'll probably end up just going in and getting the CX500's.
Does anyone have experiences with them? Care to share?

Also any experience with the V-Moda Vibe's? Is the bass too much?

They dont seem to have any small headphones to demo at my local apple store in Hobart, Tasmania. Do you reckon they would have any in the back that they would bring out if I asked? Or would they not have any demo ones apart from the full sized headphones?

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 20
What type of music you listen to?

Even though the exchange rate = poos, Maybe the Nuforce NE-7M is a good option.

~ AU$98 dollars shipped = great.

Nuforce will refund you $15 shipping ordering via Amazon.

Dec 15, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 20
I listen to all sorts of different music so I cant really select a headphone based on what music i listen to.

Sometimes I want lots of bass and other times I don't.

And I don't have time to buy anything online, I'm going in to town on thursday and will get whatever I can find then. Most likely CX 500's.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 20
Ok I have now decided that I'm going to buy off ebay since I have some time. I'm looking at the Ultimate Ears range.

Would you recommend the Super.fi 3 or 4's? Any complaints?

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 20
Sorry for the multiple posts but I am wanting to get headphones as soon as possible.

How big a difference is there between the CX95's and the CX500's?
As far as price goes the CX95's are AUD$40 more. Would it be worth it?

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 20
Actually, I can be of help to you. I've been using the CX500 for months now and a good friend of mine has been using Vibes for even longer. We've compared them a bunch of times, and I think the CX 500 is definitely better. The vocals are clearer, and they're much more durable (His Vibes already broke and were replaced). The thing with the Vibe is it has better Bass, but IMO the bass completely overpowers the rest of the sound. I personally find the CX500 more comfortable, too.

Can't say anything about the others.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the CX500 for months now and a good friend of mine has been using Vibes for even longer. We've compared them a bunch of times, and I think the CX 500 is definitely better. The vocals are clearer, and they're much more durable. The thing with the Vibe is it has better Bass, but IMO the bass completely overpowers the rest of the sound. I personally find the CX500 more comfortable, too.

Ok, what would you recommend out of the CX500 vs Super.fi 3?
The CX500 would be 5 dollars cheaper but would take longer to get.

The Super.fi's look like they would be a bit weird to wear.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say go with the Super.Fi 3 for $140AUD

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back