Need help choosing over-ear headphones under $300 for a variety of music
May 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

canadian1296

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

First off, I'm obviously new here and while I've read several topics this is my first post. Please bear with my lack of knowledge.

I'm looking for over ear headphones, that must be closed back (I'll be using them around other people, sometimes in quiet places, so preventing noise leakage is important). I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly jazz, rock, electronic (mostly house), and some songs that are mostly vocals (no rap though). I'd like to have a decent amount of bass, but I don't want them to be so bass heavy that it crushes the midrange and treble. Those are equally important to me. Likewise, I don't want amazing clarity but no bass. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD 400 series, initially the 449 then the 429, but I have some concerns. I've read some reviews saying they feel "cheap" and lack bass. Ideally I'd like to stay under $200 but I'll go up to $300 as long as I can justify the cost.
I'll be using them occasionally for movies but mostly just music, and the music will be a split between my iPhone on the go, and an amp at home. Since I will be taking them places durability is also important. I'm always careful but they might get bumped around a bit.
I'm not partial to any specific brand (I'm new enough at this that I really have no idea what I'm looking for). Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

May 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello!

It seems like you are looking for a neutral-ish headphone with good female vocal presentation. While majority of headphones that I came across does not present female vocal nicely. A few that I know and that is neutral and closed are Momentums, K550 and M4U1. If you have small head, you might have fitting issue with the K550, it's a big headphone and without good seal, you will not be getting the right bass. Similarly, if you have big ears, Momentum might not be for you as it might feel more like a on-ear instead of over-ear. In terms of durability, out of all these three, M4U1 ranked last as it is made of mostly plastic (K550 = mostly metal, Momentum: Leather and stainless steel) but still, it holds up pretty well.

Hope this help!
Billson :D

May 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you both for your replies!
I took a look at all 5 headphones suggested, and narrowed it down to either the Momentum or the K550. I think I'd prefer the Momentum but I'll have to find somewhere to try them, just to establish what fits better. If the Momentum is too small, or more on ear, then it's definitely out. Same with the K550 being too large. Hopefully one or the other will work!

Thanks again :)

May 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Thank you both for your replies!
I took a look at all 5 headphones suggested, and narrowed it down to either the Momentum or the K550. I think I'd prefer the Momentum but I'll have to find somewhere to try them, just to establish what fits better. If the Momentum is too small, or more on ear, then it's definitely out. Same with the K550 being too large. Hopefully one or the other will work!

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

If those two don't fit the bill, go for M4U1!

Billson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back