Need help choosing between on-ear hp's: Senn. HD25-1 II vs V-Moda M-80 vs AIAIAI TMA-1
Dec 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

User20140710

New Head-Fier
This is my first post on this forum, but I read a lot threads when just passing by or getting information from specific products.
I hope I will get the necessary info to choose the right headphone for my purpose.
I'm aware there will be a lot of threads like mine, but I need some specific advice for buying the right stuff.

First of all, I have to say I'm kinda new with the audio(logical) terms here. But I'm open for new stuff and interests so will learn quickly.

This will be the first time I'll buy a headphone in the higher price-category. I used to walk around for about 4 years with a Sennheiser PMX 100 (neckband), and it costs me just €50. I'm quite amazed by the service of Sennheiser (actually the shop) but also the brand itself. The problem I had with the PMX100 was that the cable did snap when connected with my iPod Touch. It got fixed 3 times, the 4th time I got a brand new one.
But now I'm having some other problems, the clamp is less strong, and its sliding off little by little. So I get pain on my ears when listening more than 1 hour.

So I'm up for a new pair. This time I want to go for on-ear headphones, much more comfortable.
I'm not into IEM's or over-ear. It has to be portable at all time. Even when I'm not listening, I will lay them around my neck. I will wear them always when going outside, in public, on the streets, on the train, in every weather condition, every single day ^^. So they need to be sturdy.

The genres of music I'm listening to:
-Hiphop / R&B
-Dance / some bass (and a little dnb of Pendulum)
-Alternative / some Rock
-Soundtracks of movies !
I won't use it for games, or whatever. Just music listed above / movies with my iTouch. Maybe sometimes connected with my notebook, but that's rather occasionally.

So, I need some bass I guess, and all-round good music quality.

Conclusion:
- it has to be portable, on-ear, no huge shells
- comfortable, I'm not wearing glasses so, that won't give any problems most of the time. Will wear them for about 3-4 hours a day.
- has to be sturdy, cuz I will wear them even it's raining.
- quality is important because it will cost some money ofc.
- cable needs to be thick (I kinda liked the ones from Beats by thickness),
- its a plus when it has a 45/90° connector (I will use it with an iPod Touch).
- design is a plus, I like to have some nice looking hp's with good sound quality.
- not willing to use an amp, cuz I don't know so much of it, and it needs to be portable.

Last but not least: BUDGET. First my budget was €100 tops, but then I pulled it up to approx. €200.

After going to the local shop I was into Beats Solo (HD). I thought this would be THE ONE!!, but after reading some articles here and from google I'm kinda disappointed in the build and sound quality for that price. So no Beats for me, but they look really good I have to admit.

I've searched and searched for days, hours and came up with this models:

- Sennheiser HD25-1 II (€166 local shop, €137 online)
- V-Moda Crossfade M-80 (€178 online)
- AIAIAI TMA-1 (€141 online)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 (this design isn't what quite my thingy, the 3 above are what I'm aiming for)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (actually over-ear, so less interesting)
- Beyerdynamic DT1350 (actually out-of-budget, but just to compare)

Which will fit for me? Or maybe something else I haven't listed. Also I've got to mention, I always want to try them before buying.
Ofcourse when its possible.

Also I'd like to know from owners of these hp's to compare it with the HD25-1 II or to compare it to each other.
Just to have a good impression for what I'm buying for.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 2
I've tested the HD25 -1 II in the shop, but I'm quite disappointed. The sound isn't that "loud" as many say. Also I'm not noticing anything different in sound with my PMX100. Ah well, maybe I can't compare it. HD25's design looks good, but is kinda boring (normal version), is sturdy, very light-weight, comfortable. But in my opinion, not so loud in music, I miss some bass, and I don't hear the €100 difference between the HD and mine. But about one thing I'm sure, it sounds clear.

If the HD25 is not what I'm looking for, which one should fit? Need something louder, little more bass.. good sound without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back