Need help choosing a soundcard
May 24, 2010 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SeanR111

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, I just built a new computer an am looking to upgrade the on-board audio.  I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to audio technology, so I was hoping that I could tap into the cumulative wisdom of the forum community to help me make an informed decision.  I want this sound card for two main reason, firstly for listening to music with headphones.  Secondly I would like to hook up a MIDI keyboard and turn my computer into a synthesizer.  I was looking to spend a maximum of $200.

I primarily listen to symphonic / melodic metal and some electronic trance music, though I really like to hear crisp vocals in the music.

Also if someone is feeling extra helpful if you could suggest a pair of on-ear headphones for around $150 - $100 to go with my new sound card I would be extremely greatful.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help

-Sean

May 25, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 6
For a sound card/MIDI interface, an EMU 0404 USB would suit you well.

For phones, I'd check out these: SRH840, ATH-M50, or ATH-AD700.

May 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I've heard alot of good things about the SRH840s.  How do they compare to the ATH-M50 which are around $40 cheaper?

I'd recommend asking in the Headphone - Full Size forums.  I personally like the SRH840 better, but, the ATH-M50 is a more balanced phone.  This is heavily biased, though, since I own an SRH440, and have only spent ~5 hours with each the SRH840 and the M50.

May 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
So the external sound cards, like the EMU 0404 USB  you suggested, are a better option for my needs compared to the the internal ones like the ASUS Xonar Essence models?

Same say that external cards actually outperform high end internal models, especially if you don't need things like EAX support, or surround sound, or anything like that.  Another issue with your particular problem is that most of those internal cards don't have MIDI ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back