Need help choosing a pair of headphones!
Jul 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DReK

New Head-Fier
Hello, my name is DReK and im brand new to these forums. I've come here today to get some of your guys professional opinions on which headphones to get. I was originally going to get Beats, (cause there the "cool" thing where i live) but then i started doing more research on headphones and noticed there were many better options, and also cheaper. I mostly listen to rap and hiphop, with occasional rock and pop. My price range is $150-$175 max. I've been looking at seinnheiser's, audio-technica's, Ultrasone, and Beyer, but im not sure which would be the best.

Are there any specific models that any of you would recommend? All opinions and suggestions are welcome :) 

Thanks, DReK

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hello, my name is DReK and im brand new to these forums. I've come here today to get some of your guys professional opinions on which headphones to get. I was originally going to get Beats, (cause there the "cool" thing where i live) but then i started doing more research on headphones and noticed there were many better options, and also cheaper. I mostly listen to rap and hiphop, with occasional rock and pop. My price range is $150-$175 max. I've been looking at seinnheiser's, audio-technica's, Ultrasone, and Beyer, but im not sure which would be the best.
Are there any specific models that any of you would recommend? All opinions and suggestions are welcome :) 

I'm assuming you do not own a headphone amplifier.
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I'm assuming you do not own a headphone amplifier.
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Yeah i don't own an amp, but i could get one if it's necessary for the right price. And im going to be using the headphones on mostly my macbook, maybe sometimes my iphone.

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Yeah I don't own an amp, but i could get one if it's necessary for the right price. And I'm going to be using the headphones on mostly my Macbook, maybe sometimes my iPhone.

Apple products seem to come with decent DACs and audio support.
So for now just get some low Ohm headphones and skip adding a headphone amplifier.
I'm assuming with the iPhone your going to be outside with the headphones, so closed would be better?
You can all ways buy an amplifier in the future, or ask for one on your birthday or Christmas.

Sony ZX700 have a good sound and are only 24-Ohms
They have them on demo at all the Sony stores, and maybe Apple stores
KRK KNS 8400  32-Ohms
Denon AH-D1100 (Bassy) 32-Ohm

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Apple products seem to come with decent DACs and audio support.
So for now just get some low Ohm headphones and skip adding a headphone amplifier.
I'm assuming with the iPhone your going to be outside with the headphones, so closed would be better?
You can all ways buy an amplifier in the future, or ask for one on your birthday or Christmas.

Sony ZX700 have a good sound and are only 24-Ohms
They have them on demo at all the Sony stores, and maybe Apple stores
KRK KNS 8400  32-Ohms
Denon AH-D1100 (Bassy) 32-Ohm

Thanks for the suggestions, which out of those do you believe would be best for mostly rap/hip hop?

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, which out of those do you believe would be best for mostly rap/hip hop?

Loaded question, I own the KNS 8400, but have not tried them with hip hop (but give me a few hours and I'll test).
I only listed to the Sony ZX700 for a minute at a Sony store, they were plugged into a Sony mp3 player that did not have Hip Hop.
And I've never used the Denon AH-D1100, closest headphone was the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) close cousin to the Denon AH-D1001.
The Denon AH-D1100 started off as $200 headphones, dropped to $150 and sometimes goes only sale for $100.
The KNS 8400 are $150 that sometimes sell for around $110 on eBay.
Sony ZX700 are $120 at the Sony store and sometimes sell for $90 on eBay.
Guessing I'm trying to show what the open market values these headphones.
I'm guessing these headphones would sound good with most kinds of music anyway.
I'll stop by the Sony store on my way home and retest the ZX700 at the Sony store and KNS 8400 when I get home.
That will be in the next few hours.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Loaded question, I own the KNS 8400, but have not tried them with hip hop (but give me a few hours and I'll test).
I only listed to the Sony ZX700 for a minute at a Sony store, they were plugged into a Sony mp3 player that did not have Hip Hop.
And I've never used the Denon AH-D1100, closest headphone was the CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) close cousin to the Denon AH-D1001.
The Denon AH-D1100 started off as $200 headphones, dropped to $150 and sometimes goes only sale for $100.
The KNS 8400 are $150 that sometimes sell for around $110 on eBay.
Sony ZX700 are $120 at the Sony store and sometimes sell for $90 on eBay.
Guessing I'm trying to show what the open market values these headphones.
I'm guessing these headphones would sound good with most kinds of music anyway.
I'll stop by the Sony store on my way home and retest the ZX700 at the Sony store and KNS 8400 when I get home.
That will be in the next few hours.

Okay thank you very much. Lemme know when you test them out. 

Im still open to other suggestions so anyone else that sees this and has opinions please let me know. :)

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 12
Stopped by the Sony store, still think the ZX700s sound decent.
Have test my KNS 8400 on monday.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 12
Anyone have any opinions on the Sony XB700's? I've been researching them and they seem to be decent with good bass for rap/hip hop. Also there not too pricey.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Anyone have any opinions on the Sony XB700's? I've been researching them and they seem to be decent with good bass for rap/hip hop. Also there not too pricey.

Try them at your local Sony store.
Best price I could find is $90, Amazon.

I'm not a fan of the Sony MDR-XBs series, but others are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back