Need help choosing a pair of good looking portable on-ear headphones, mostly for alternative indie and rock.
Jul 22, 2012 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jv0guano

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I'm in the look for a pair of headphones; I have been searching around quite some time, but it is hard for me to find something due to my many requirements, which are:

- has to be nice looking (think more of an urbanear rather than a dr. dre beats or a skullcandy)
- would like them to be foldable/compactable (for example, like-wise the AKG k27)
- I would like to avoid in-ear, so at best on-ear or eventually over-ear
- has to be comfortable if worn for prolongued hours (I had the chance [a long time ago] to use the above mentioned AKG K27, and after an hour or so I was feeling a strong discomfort)
- the sound quality has to be pretty good, these are supposed to become THE headphones I use, I already have a couple of "fair enough" headphones, so no need for something like this
- music I listen to (in order of preference): alternative indie, rock, electronic, punk, metal
- price, could consider something up to USD 200 if it is really worth, as I am aware I have quite some strict requirements

If you could help me round up some options, it would be much appreciated, as I feel I am kinda lost here.
Many thanks and sorry in advance if I am not going to answer, but I'm off for a week, so I will have little internet access

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 9
TheAttorney:

thanks for the tips; I actually wanted to be rules-compliance and post in that first thread you linked, but I also saw many many threads being opened for purchase advices, so I took my chances and opened my own so it is easier to follow replies.
Actually I am glad I did this, cos today I was checking just out of chance and I discovered all of your replies, I thought I activated email notifications but I guess something must have gone wrong :frowning2:

Indeed, thank you very much for your second thread, it proved to be very useful, I never stumbled upon it meanwhile doing my researches.

NimbleTurtle:

thanks for your contribution, but they look far from cool to me, though I imagine they can tickle more than some people tastes. They look so alien-like design, too much for me, wanted something more subtle

Remote:
I hate when I have to use cotton buds, so no way I'm keeping something in my ears for hours :D

AstroTurf:
they look definitely too massive at first glance, but not so bad, so I will give them a thorough read!

thank you all!

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
TheAttorney:

Indeed, thank you very much for your second thread, it proved to be very useful, I never stumbled upon it meanwhile doing my researches.

The Search mechanism has never been the same since the site was "improved". You've probably already noticed that the second thread is ongoing, and about to start on the next higher cost band of headphones. You've also probably already noticed that different people have widely different views on the same product. That's how it goes...

On reflection, I was a bit abrupt with my first response - I must be getting influenced by "the other site", where rudeness to newcomers is a core policy
smile_phones.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
The Search mechanism has never been the same since the site was "improved". You've probably already noticed that the second thread is ongoing, and about to start on the next higher cost band of headphones. You've also probably already noticed that different people have widely different views on the same product. That's how it goes...

On reflection, I was a bit abrupt with my first response - I must be getting influenced by "the other site", where rudeness to newcomers is a core policy
smile_phones.gif

Yeah I know is a bit of policy everywhere on forums, but that is why didn't mind so much, newcomers should be used to it :) But thanks for being such a gentleman and pointing that you!

Thanks for the further tip,
but have to say that I settled on a pair of JAYS v-JAYS.
affordable, lightweight, portable, they sound really amazing (to a beginner like me), stylish and so far seem comfortable!
It could not match my criteria best! :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 9
The Harmen Kardon CL, BT and WESC Chambre are recommended for these genres music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back