Need help choosing a DAC/Source for Stax 009/WES
Apr 6, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 36
How does the 009 sound? I'd imagine something along the lines of having the artist/musician in the same room as you.

I shall be receiving the 009 in a week and will give you a first hand experience :D

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 36
I use a Yamamoto YDA-1, which is probably around 2.5kUSD or so? It pairs very well with my 009 because of robust low end, and total absence of glare. On the other hand, I suspect it is severely lacking behind in the details retrieval compared to other offerings at similar or maybe even lower price. But, as far as pairing with the 009, IMO, smoother / warmer is probably better synergy than something sharp. It may seem contradictory to pair an "unresolving" DAC to such a precise transducer, but, well, I much like the pairing. Lately, I have been interested in the  Eximus DP-1 and liked it on its own but haven't heard with the 009.

Hey!
Thanks for the info.
I would most certainly like a smooth & warm DAC but detail retrieval is something I enjoy too.
I'll probably have to increase my budget substantially for this.
Am reading a lot of good things about the Esoteric K01. 4 times my initial budget, but I've learned the hard way that upgraditis is incurable :wink:
Any thoughts/experience on K01 with this rig...

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #18 of 36
Depends on what running as a source. I really like my Ayre QB9, excellent synergy with the Stax' but then, 99% of my music comes from the computer...

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #19 of 36
I'd recommend you consider the Simaudio Moon Evolution range of DACs, the 650D, 750D and Andromeda. I have the middle one, the 750D and it is fabulous with both my main speaker rig and my Littledot Mk6+/LCD-3 rig. I haven't tried it with a 009 setup yet but it's essentially a neutral, "get out of the way" kind of DAC, just lets the music shine through.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
Am reading a lot of good things about the Esoteric K01. 4 times my initial budget, but I've learned the hard way that upgraditis is incurable
wink.gif

Any thoughts/experience on K01 with this rig...

I have the K-01 and the SR-009's but nothing to drive the headphones with until I receive the BHSE. I know the amp in question on this thread is the WES but my point is about the K-01. For now I'm only using my Pico Slim + Shure se535's with the K-01 but the SQ I'm getting from that combination is simply amazing. I'm a believer in saving until I have the money to get what I really want and the K-01 was and is very expensive, but to me it was worth it and some.

P.S. In the UK, the K-01 is £15,000 [ $23,795 ] I payed £10,000 but used my previous headphone system as part exchange.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #21 of 36
Thanks all.
I have more or less decided to go for the Esoteric K01 for which I will have to save for the next 4 months.
David1961, please do post your impressions on the synergy with SR009.
Again, thanks dyl1dyl, pachku, arnaud. Appreciate your inputs.

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 36

Quote:

Hi SHAHZADA123,
I can do that hopefully in two or three weeks, but please bear in mind my SR-009's will be driven by the BHSE not the WES, also I think the best way to find out how audio equipment sounds is to audition it. Unfortunately for me I've not been in a position where I could hear the BHSE + SR-009's, so I've gone with what I've read, also looks play a big part. While I haven't had chance to hear the two mentioned, before I bought the K-01 I did, which is why I bought it. 

Dave

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
Thanks all.
I have more or less decided to go for the Esoteric K01 for which I will have to save for the next 4 months.
Again, thanks dyl1dyl, pachku, arnaud. Appreciate your inputs.

You may want to also consider the Vitus SCD-010. From everything I've heard about it, it should be able to give the Esoteric a pretty good fight.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 36
Thank you DaveBSC & Manbeard, both the Vitus & the Skylla II were very interesting and right up there with the best.
But this time I decided to just go for the best. I've learned the hard way that my UPGRADITIS is incurable :rolleyes:

Luckily, I got a great deal on the Esoteric K-01 & immediately grabbed it :wink:

Hopefully, the Stax rig will arrive by Monday followed by the Esoteric :D
This is gonna be one hell of a long weekend
Thanks again guys!

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #26 of 36

Quote:
Thank you DaveBSC & Manbeard, both the Vitus & the Skylla II were very interesting and right up there with the best.
But this time I decided to just go for the best. I've learned the hard way that my UPGRADITIS is incurable
rolleyes.gif

Luckily, I got a great deal on the Esoteric K-01 & immediately grabbed it
wink.gif

Hopefully, the Stax rig will arrive by Monday followed by the Esoteric
biggrin.gif

This is gonna be one hell of a long weekend
Thanks again guys!

Please post your thoughts on the K-01 when you receive it and have listened to it for a couple of weeks SHAHZADA123. However it does sound better after burn in which takes around 6 months so you might be better off waiting til then.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #30 of 36
For that kind of money you must have a 100000$ loudspeaker system!
My advice is to give Sooloos Meridians DAC a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back