Need help choosing a DAC/Source for Stax 009/WES
Apr 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

SHAHZADA123

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I recently bought this rig from a fellow headfier and am now looking for a suitable DAC.
My budget is $5000.
Please make your recommendations.
Thanks

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 36
Quote:
Hi all,
I recently bought this rig from a fellow headfier and am now looking for a suitable DAC.
My budget is $5000.
Please make your recommendations.
Thanks

I take it you bought Mogwai's setup?  Congrats.

If you're looking to spend the full $5000, the usual suspects, I guess.  Antelope Zodiac Gold + Voltikus, Berkeley Audio Design Alpha.  I haven't heard a Weiss 202 yet, but that's in the price range as well if you get it used.
Or you can save a bunch of money and get a Lavry DA11 or a Wyred4Sound DAC-2.  Calyx DAC is priced in the same range as the DA11 and W4SD2 as well, and though I haven't heard one, people have good things to say.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 36
Yes, I have, thanks.

Have you auditioned any of the ones you've mentioned?
They all are highly thought of at headfi but my major concern would be a good synergy with the Stax setup.
I obviously don't want to end up spending on the Antelope if a W4S 2 is better suited.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:
Yes, I have, thanks.
Have you auditioned any of the ones you've mentioned?
They all are highly thought of at headfi but my major concern would be a good synergy with the Stax setup.
I obviously don't want to end up spending on the Antelope if a W4S 2 is better suited.

I've heard the DA11, W4SD2, BADA (Series 1), and Zodiac Gold + Voltikus.

I was underwhelmed by the Gold + Voltikus (heard it with an Apex Pinnacle and LCD-3), but all the other three I mentioned were awesome.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

I've heard the DA11, W4SD2, BADA (Series 1), and Zodiac Gold + Voltikus.

I was underwhelmed by the Gold + Voltikus (heard it with an Apex Pinnacle and LCD-3), but all the other three I mentioned were awesome.

I'm leaning towards the W4SD2, myself.
Thanks for the inputs!

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 36
The CANTATA Music Server looks good as a source/DAC :wink:

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:
The CANTATA Music Server looks good as a source/DAC
wink.gif

It most certainly does.  It has an MSRP of $6000 though, which is above your budget.  I actually got incredibly lucky and snagged one off A'goN for a better price.  It should hopefully be in my hands late next week.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 36
The Meitner MA-1 is a bit above your budget, but most definitely worth the stretch IMHO. It retails for $7k, but you might be able to chew off a bit of the dealer's profit margin if you ask.

Sold my Berkeley to buy one the very next day after I heard it in my system. Other than the Concert Fidelity 040 on redbook, it's the very best DAC I've heard in my home.....and the Meitner does 192khz as well as DSD streaming, something which leaves the CF-040 limited in comparison. 

Good luck in your search.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 36
My full-time sources is an Abbingdon Music Research CD-77 in use with my SR-009s. My experiences are for the CD-77 only, but since it has the same DAC as the DP-777 which just got a strong recommendation from Stereophile, they should still be relevant. The DP-777 prices in just at the US$5k limit. 

With the AMR products, they use tubes in both input stage (6H11 triodes) and output stage (6H1n-EV) so there is a rich texture, even from the USB input.  AMR also employs 2 separate DAC chipsets, one dedicated to 16-bit recordings and a completely separate DAC for 32-bit.  USB input processing peaks at 24/192k.  The build quality is tank-like as the DP-777 weighs in at over 25 lbs and the chassis is quite large and will take up a full shelf on a standard equipment rack.

Sound quality is, again, very liquid and rich; it's warm but not in a cloying, fake way.  There is plenty of detail, as much as your source can generate, but there is a shortage of rough edges on all but the worst recordings.  I have hundreds of early 2000's era mp3s, and the CD-77, while not sugar coating or editorializing the tracks, makes many of them sound much better than they should at 128k sample rates, especially considering I am listening on ultra-clean gear like the SR-009s. Soundstage on headphones is misleading (well, to me it is), but in a 2 channel system (with Maggie 3.7s)  the CD-77 soundstage is fairly normal (as wide as the speakers themselves) but very solid.  Well recorded music has instruments solidly in place and it feels like they are actually occupying that space.  System noise and the sound floor is virtually non-existent, even with the SR-009s set at high(er) levels.  If music isn't playing, I wouldn't know the system was even on.

For me, the AMR stuff with the SR-009s is "set and forget", as in it's hard for me to skip around from track to track.  Once i put on one album, I pretty much just sit through the entire thing, rather than jump from track-to-track, album-to-album.  Very much an "enjoy the music" experience.

Other DACs I've recently played with in my system around that price point were the Antelope Gold w/Voltikus and the Aesthetix Romulus CD player (same DAC as the Aesthetix Pandora).  The Aesthetix also generously employs tube in the circuit design and was great through all headphones (including HE-500s).  The Aesthetix also put up the widest, deepest soundstage I've ever heard in my 2 channel system.  Simply amazing.  The Antelope is fast and detailed but really sounds like a piece of professional gear.  There was no place for bad recordings to hide with the Antelope gear.  If you're an aspiring sound engineer or really a fan of the "I wanna be in the control room" sound, then the Antelope is for you.

I am demoing a Berkeley Audio this week and may have more info on that later is that's of interest.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 36
My full-time sources is an Abbingdon Music Research CD-77 in use with my SR-009s. My experiences are for the CD-77 only, but since it has the same DAC as the DP-777 which just got a strong recommendation from Stereophile, they should still be relevant. The DP-777 prices in just at the US$5k limit. 

With the AMR products, they use tubes in both input stage (6H11 triodes) and output stage (6H1n-EV) so there is a rich texture, even from the USB input.  AMR also employs 2 separate DAC chipsets, one dedicated to 16-bit recordings and a completely separate DAC for 32-bit.  USB input processing peaks at 24/192k.  The build quality is tank-like as the DP-777 weighs in at over 25 lbs and the chassis is quite large and will take up a full shelf on a standard equipment rack.

Sound quality is, again, very liquid and rich; it's warm but not in a cloying, fake way.  There is plenty of detail, as much as your source can generate, but there is a shortage of rough edges on all but the worst recordings.  I have hundreds of early 2000's era mp3s, and the CD-77, while not sugar coating or editorializing the tracks, makes many of them sound much better than they should at 128k sample rates, especially considering I am listening on ultra-clean gear like the SR-009s. Soundstage on headphones is misleading (well, to me it is), but in a 2 channel system (with Maggie 3.7s)  the CD-77 soundstage is fairly normal (as wide as the speakers themselves) but very solid.  Well recorded music has instruments solidly in place and it feels like they are actually occupying that space.  System noise and the sound floor is virtually non-existent, even with the SR-009s set at high(er) levels.  If music isn't playing, I wouldn't know the system was even on.

For me, the AMR stuff with the SR-009s is "set and forget", as in it's hard for me to skip around from track to track.  Once i put on one album, I pretty much just sit through the entire thing, rather than jump from track-to-track, album-to-album.  Very much an "enjoy the music" experience.

Other DACs I've recently played with in my system around that price point were the Antelope Gold w/Voltikus and the Aesthetix Romulus CD player (same DAC as the Aesthetix Pandora).  The Aesthetix also generously employs tube in the circuit design and was great through all headphones (including HE-500s).  The Aesthetix also put up the widest, deepest soundstage I've ever heard in my 2 channel system.  Simply amazing.  The Antelope is fast and detailed but really sounds like a piece of professional gear.  There was no place for bad recordings to hide with the Antelope gear.  If you're an aspiring sound engineer or really a fan of the "I wanna be in the control room" sound, then the Antelope is for you.

I am demoing a Berkeley Audio this week and may have more info on that later is that's of interest.

Thanks for the detailed info.
The DP777 seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Let me look it up.
Thanks again

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

It most certainly does.  It has an MSRP of $6000 though, which is above your budget.  I actually got incredibly lucky and snagged one off A'goN for a better price.  It should hopefully be in my hands late next week.

Lucky you. :wink:
Please do post your impressions.
Hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 36
I use a Yamamoto YDA-1, which is probably around 2.5kUSD or so? It pairs very well with my 009 because of robust low end, and total absence of glare. On the other hand, I suspect it is severely lacking behind in the details retrieval compared to other offerings at similar or maybe even lower price. But, as far as pairing with the 009, IMO, smoother / warmer is probably better synergy than something sharp. It may seem contradictory to pair an "unresolving" DAC to such a precise transducer, but, well, I much like the pairing. Lately, I have been interested in the  Eximus DP-1 and liked it on its own but haven't heard with the 009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back