Need help choosing <$100 headphones
Oct 19, 2011 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sagebrushh

New Head-Fier
So I'm quite the beginner when it comes to headphones; I've never had a pair above $50, and have had only a couple lower quality headphones. At first I had the typical white apple earbuds that come with ipods, and then had a pair of KSC75s. Compared to the apple earbuds, the KSC75s had a much better sound quality and a very nice price, but the wiring gave in even before the year was up. After the KSC75, I had the KTXPRO1s, which were of a comparable sound quality and price, but again the sound cut out after less than a year's worth of use. I figured it was time to move on to a nicer set of headphones that would be durable, and hopefully of even better sound quality.

I listen to a wide variety of music, including classical, pop, rock, and j-pop. I would also be using the headphones for movie/video listening. My criteria would be:

1. Sound Quality
2. Durability
3. Comfort 
4. Preferably lightweight, and convenience factor for walking around outside, bus, etc. I guess that would also mean low sound leakage.

I've been searching around, both on Head-Fi and Amazon, and have been considering:
1. JVC HARX700/900 (Still haven't come to a concrete decision on which is better)
2. Audio Technica ATH-M30

My concerns for both are of the cord length, because I've read that both have pretty long cords. Also, that the ATH-M30 has "good" but not "fantastic" sound quality overall, being a more neutral set of headphones...

I've read glowing reviews for all, but want to make sure that I have a firm decision before I get to buying. 

Note: I've looked at some of the Sennheisers, as well as the Sony V6s, but I'm not confident that either would be a good match for me...

If I could get some input on the above headphones, or suggestions for some other possibilities, I would be very very grateful!!

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 15
If you are looking for portable headphones maybe you could look into these:

Sennheiser PX-100
Sennheiser PX-200
Koss Portapro

Although I would suggest looking into IEMs since you will want isolation as you said you will be outside and on the bus with them.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 15
I was in the same boat as you recently and two names came up that seemed to fit the bill for me

Equation Audio RP-21/22x and the Koss DJ100

I ended up going with the RP-22x due to the large 50mm driver with extended bass.....I'm all for accurate sound but a little extra low end never hurt :) But I have been hearings lots of good reviews about the Koss DJ100 too, and they're pretty damn sexy....even though I just got my RP-22x yesterday, i'm thinking of snatching up a pair of the DJ100 just for ****s and giggles.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 15
Do it, and enjoy.

beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
If you are looking for portable headphones maybe you could look into these:

Sennheiser PX-100
Sennheiser PX-200
Koss Portapro

Although I would suggest looking into IEMs since you will want isolation as you said you will be outside and on the bus with them.

Quote:
I was in the same boat as you recently and two names came up that seemed to fit the bill for me

Equation Audio RP-21/22x and the Koss DJ100

I ended up going with the RP-22x due to the large 50mm driver with extended bass.....I'm all for accurate sound but a little extra low end never hurt :) But I have been hearings lots of good reviews about the Koss DJ100 too, and they're pretty damn sexy....even though I just got my RP-22x yesterday, i'm thinking of snatching up a pair of the DJ100 just for ****s and giggles.

Quote:
I would definetly also recommend the Koss DJ100 as many people have said it sounds great for the price.

Thanks for the info everyone!

@johntodd After my first 2 experiences with portable headphones, I think I might be looking more for heavier duty headphones that won't cut out so quickly. I was especially surprised by the KSC75s cutting out because I've read everywhere that they are "top of the line" for portable headphones... and IEMs kinda turn me off, for no other reason than the fact that I'm sticking something into my ear. I'm dealing with bad apple earbuds for now because I don't have anything else, but I'm hoping for some over-ear phones. I don't blast music either, so as long as something doesn't have terrible sound leakage I think I'm good.

@ I<3SQ If you find the time, please let me know how you like your new headphones, and if you end up getting the DJ100s!

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
@ I<3SQ If you find the time, please let me know how you like your new headphones, and if you end up getting the DJ100s!

Dude, I love them! It's nice being able to EQ them to my liking, with some cans they just don't have enough bass to satisfy me and no amount of EQ'ing will change that. These, not only do they sound amazing, they have tons of bass on tap should I want/need it. Songs that would make others bottom out, these just take it and ask for more. Well worth every penny!

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 15
After some more research and waffling, I've decided to go with the classic v6s despite some concerns... hopefully I don't regret it! Thanks for all of the advice everyone! Believe me, I took everything into account :wink:

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 15
The Sony monitor headphones are hard to go wrong with.  For each genre, I feel there may be a better headphone, but for a simple, all-arounder that performs admirably in every genre, whether at home or on the go, the mdr v6 is a good choice.  Post impressions when they arrive!

Quote:
After some more research and waffling, I've decided to go with the classic v6s despite some concerns... hopefully I don't regret it! Thanks for all of the advice everyone! Believe me, I took everything into account :wink:

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
The Sony monitor headphones are hard to go wrong with.  For each genre, I feel there may be a better headphone, but for a simple, all-arounder that performs admirably in every genre, whether at home or on the go, the mdr v6 is a good choice.  Post impressions when they arrive! 

That's what I thought too :D And especially, the v6s have been around forever, and I've read so many good reviews on its various aspects, despite its limitations and the price. I'll definitely post up how they work out.

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Just got my new V6s, and I'm super excited!!! They look really sturdy, and I'm just starting to listen with them. They probably need some burn-in time, but even now they sound (unsurprisingly) so much better than the apple earbuds. They also seem like they'll isolate sound pretty well, which is probably great for rides on the bus :)

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #13 of 15
Glad to hear it!

Quote:
Just got my new V6s, and I'm super excited!!! They look really sturdy, and I'm just starting to listen with them. They probably need some burn-in time, but even now they sound (unsurprisingly) so much better than the apple earbuds. They also seem like they'll isolate sound pretty well, which is probably great for rides on the bus :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 15
Ended up getting the DJ100's as well, in addition to the RP-22x. My nephew accidentally broke my RP-22x so I was hoping the DJ100's could fill in nicely....not so much. While they outshine the RP-22x in overall SQ, they just don't have the bottom end of the RP-22x so I have ordered a pair of Audio Technica ATH-700 Pro MKII's. Hopefully those will make me forget all about the RP-22x

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 15
I've had my v6s for almost a year, and I was happy with them until they started cutting out! I can still adjust so that I hear out of both sides, but after all the raving reviews about the durability, I was a bit saddened that they didn't last longer. I don't mistreat my headphones, and made sure to keep them in their protective bag, so I don't know why they ended up starting to fall apart. I called Sony, and since it was past the 90 day full warranty period, they said I'd have to send it in and pay for the labor fees... not really worth the shipping or the labor fees, I would think. Anyway, just wanted to give an update on my experience! They do sound good for the price though :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back