Need help: Bifrost & Asgard 2 just came in... and I'm not getting any sound.
Dec 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

theseaminer

New Head-Fier
First of all, here's my chain:

Foobar > Focusrite 18i20 (optical out) > Optical Monster cable > Bifrost > RCA cables > Asgard 2 > HD600's

Basically i'm using the 18i20 as a glorified sound card while I'm not recording, but the problem is that I'm not getting any sound. Both the Bifrost and Asgard 2 turn on, and function. I think it might be the 18i20's Mix Control software ********, but I'm not sure. I sent an inquiry to Focusrite, but with their terrible customer service, I don't expect an answer until after Christmas. So, I tried my luck on Gearsluts.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/874429-focusrite-scarlett-18i20-optical-out.html

Getting impatient, I wondered if any of the guys at Schiit had a brush with this type of issue before, so I sent them an email:

"Okay. Here goes. I don't think it's the Bifrost's fault, but maybe you guys can help me here. I just recently ordered a Bifrost and an Asgard 2. They arrived today. I set them up. I hooked the Asgard 2 up with the RCA cables i also bought from the out of the Bifrost, and hooked my Bifrost up to my Scarlett 18i20 via optical. Should be a great combo, right? Well, I can't get any sound. I'm not sure if it's the Scarlett 18i20, the Mix Control the Monster optical cable, the Bifrost is defective, the RCA cables that came with the order, or the Asgard 2 amp. Is it a common thing that the DAC's and amps get damaged in shipping? Both units turn on, and function, but I'm not getting any sound. It might be the Mix Control software that came with the 18i20 (which I also have sent them queries asking them what's going on). Do you guys have any advice? This is my first experience with a DAC or a headphone amp, and I'm supremely bummed right now. If you guys know anything that might help would be huge."

I doubt that it's Schiit's fault. I just need someone with experience with the Bifrost, Asgard 2, or the 18i20 to lay my mind at ease because dropping over $700 on this Schiit and it not working is not a good feeling. So, any help with be amazing.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi theseaminer !

I just received the same combo as well ! :) Did you select the output on your bifrost ? I think optical is the middle one. And did you turn the high gain on your asgard 2 ? I have HE-300 with are 50 ohm and at low gain I have my nub to 1-2 oclock to have a normal level sound so I'm guessing that with HD600 it would either be all the way up to have minimal level.

Hope it helps !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back