Need Headphones for Walking Around and Library
Oct 10, 2010 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

casuallistener

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new and just needed some advice for headphones. I just ordered a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B headphones, but was wondering if that was a good choice or if I should have gone with something else. I considered those and the M50S but the ANC7B was lighter and looked more portable since I don't wanna be lugging around a huge set of headphones while walking around or commuting... are the M50S not portable? (and by portable I mean I don't want to use the case or anything, I wear them around the neck or on my head most of the time)

I will be using this mostly with my laptop and iPod nano.
I like the around ear design but am open to the on ear if it still isolates noise well. Not lookin for in ear stuff just headphones.

So things that I'm looking for:
Good isolation and maybe noise canceling
Lightweight and Ok for commuting, walking around etc. (don't want to carry it around in a case either)
Comfortable for extended periods of time
Durable
Balanced and good for all types of music (I listen from Jazz to Rap so I need a good balanced set)
ALSO I have a pretty wide head so something that fits well would be good...

Did I make the right choice, or should I get something else? I tried the Bose QC15s and I thought they were really comfortable and light...not great sound quality for the price so I thought $300 was too much for them. The noise canceling was amazing on them though.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm not looking for ridiculously high quality audio since my nano isn't going to be a great source and my mp3s aren't all 320kbps
Just something that will keep me isolated and have good sound quality... noise canceling isn't a huge deal breaker for me since I don't mind how a lot of headphones sound with it on. Keep in mind I'm more of a casual listener and not a huge audiophile. I like my higher bit rate mp3s and a nice set of speakers but won't obsess over details and stuff.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Haha, you do know that the ANC7B is a pair of noise canceling headphones right?

I usually wear my HAS700 around campus. The sound quality will most likely not impress you like other phones will, but I like them for their portability, comfort, and cost.

If you want a pair of headphones that will allow you to listen to your music in a fairly loud environment, I would recommend them. But if you plan on using them for home use also, I would recommend something else.

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 11
For portable and isolated, I typically use IEMs.

But, I did just order the K518DJ. hey haven't come yet so I can't comment on them from personal experience (yet). However, they do get good reviews for isolation, portability, and sound quality, albeit being a bit tight/small.

You can maybe give the Sony V6 a try, or the Creative Aurvana Live a go. The V6 fold up, but have a long cable. The CAL doesn't fold up, but are very comfortable.

If you're looking to spend about $300...the B&W P5 is a nice sounding, trendy set (you're paying a bit for the name and design), but they do sound very good.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 11
Yeah I did know they were noise canceling, I went that route because I thought it would help me block out noise in the library better. But if there's a pair that isolates well without active nc then I would be up for that as well.
I got the ANC7Bs for like 100 bucks ish from Amazon so I'll try them out for a little bit and see if they're good. If they aren't I'll come back and ask for more options. Thanks

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm going to go ahead and recommend you look into some IEMs. Since you didn't list your preferred genres, it's hard to recommend something, but in terms of isolation the MEElectronics M6 are excellent and they also have literally no microphonics at all (noise from the cable) so they are great for when you're walking around. The music they excel with most is electronica, trance, etc; they aren't my first choice for rock and metal but they still sound pretty good with it.

If you are to buy some, you might want to remove the memory wire, it provides a better fit and it's a 5 minute job.

Also, read this thread, it has a huge list of IEMs in each price range with a rating on accessories, build quality, isolation, microphonics, comfort, sound and value:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-114-iems-compared-fischer-silver-bullet-thinksound-ts02-added-10-08

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 11
If you are not into IEMs you could give the HD 25 I II a try. Isolating and leak 'resistant'  :  )

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah I've had in-ear buds for a while and every pair I've tried, I get uncomfortable with after listening for 3+ hours... my ear starts to itch on the inside..maybe my ears are sensitive?

My most current pair are the Klipsch S-4s.. they're not bad but not great either. I use in ear buds for short trips and full sized headphones if I'm gonna be working for a while
I had Shures SCL3? for a while and hated those.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11
I have problems with IEMs also. They would start hurting my ears after about 30 minutes or so.

HD25 is a great choice, the only problem that I can think of is that they can't be folded up to conserve space, which can be kind of troublesome at times.

You should be able to find a pair for around $150 refurbished, which is a great price for a pair of great headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back