Need headphone
Jul 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

headphone noob

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have been reading these forums looking for an answer to my complicated question, so i decided to just post it:

I have had the Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones for the past two years and I love the krap out of them; as far as I am concerned, they are perfect and they have spoiled me. However, recently I have been wanting to get a pair of over/around-ear headphones so that I can wear them over hats during the winter without having to fiddle with in-ear phones.

So here is my criteria: 

-I listen to a lot of dubstep and electronic music so I want there to be close to the same amount of bass as my s4i's; but I dont just want bass, I want the sound quality to be good as well (like i said, the s4i's spoiled me)

-I want the headphones to have a microphone/controller so that I dont have to unplug them to take phone calls

-They need to be under $150

With this criteria in mind, I bought a pair of the new Phillips Citiscape Uptown headphones and I have been sorely disappointed. Their biggest problem is that they are extremely quiet, I have to crank my phone/computer up to almost full volume just to match the S4i's medium volume level. Therefore, I am wandering whether burning them in will fix this issue, or if anyone else has had this experience? Also, the bass leaves much to be desired for me compared to the S4i's. 

Therefore, I am asking the community to recommend another pair of headphones that match my above criteria in order to replace my Uptown's.

Thank you very much for the help guys.

hp-noob

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Greetings.

I'm a headphone noob just like you but I'd like to weigh in on your dilemma based on information I gathered as I'm also looking for a headphone myself. 

By the criteria you gave, I think you could use a V Moda Crossfade M-80 too just like me.

Majority of those who own the M-80s are of the opinion that it has sufficient bass, not muddy nor overpowering, just the perfect blend of bass clarity. It's pretty well known for it's very rich and detailed mids, and an overall very balanced sound which pretty much would appeal to most audio enthusiast, so I think you're covered in the sound quality department.

M-80 comes bundled with 2 cords: a 3 button cord for apple devices and a 1 button one for smartphones and android devices.

If you're willing to buy them as 2nd hand, Amazon has some for less than $150 in a very good to like new condition.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005HSDLCO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The m-80s are also sensitive and is easily driven. You won't have any problem with it being quiet at all.

Plus, most people say that the m-80 is a gateway drug to the audiophile world, which says a lot about its sound quality, imho, and it's also regarded as one of the best value for money headphones out there.

As i was saying though, I'm just a headphone noob too and have only an elementary understanding of audio terms and peripherals, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for the advice Xenophane, I have heard good things about them as well I just had the price barrier keeping me from really considering them. One more criteria to add to my first post: they need to be comfortable for relatively long times. If those phones are the consensus best pick and if they match the criteria for comfort then I would consider breaking that price barrier and go for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back