Need expert advice on buying/building a computer
Mar 20, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #61 of 109
"Rather dated" is a bit of an understatement there - I had an AMD system in 2000 with an 800MHz Athlon and it was rock solid. So I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about when you say to go Intel for stability.

However, when it comes to notebooks...Intel all the way. I haven't seen a good AMD mobile processor yet.

Kirosia, no matter what you end up buying, the tech world is going to keep moving on to faster and better things. I wouldn't worry about the different cores, but instead buy what works for you and have a working computer sooner. Heed the other posters' advice about a nice screen - at this point, nearly any configuration of parts will be more than adequately fast, so it's better to spend the majority of your money on something that will keep your eyes happy.

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #62 of 109
Mar 20, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #63 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
gotta make sure everything ... won't be outdated in a month.

You don't have a chance, son.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #64 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
You don't have a chance, son.
biggrin.gif

Yeah I figured that. =)

Just wanna know if my list of parts is compatible (and good), specifically the ram, mobo, and processor. I honestly don't know.

As for the monitor, I'm gonna stick with the 19", cause 21" is quite a big jump in cost. I'm using I think a 13" 6yr-old monitor, and I find it adequate. So the 19" will be a pretty big step up. Still not sure if I'll get the samsung crt or nec.

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #65 of 109
Quote:

Yeah I figured that. =)

Just wanna know if my list of parts is compatible (and good), specifically the ram, mobo, and processor. I honestly don't know.

As for the monitor, I'm gonna stick with the 19", cause 21" is quite a big jump in cost. I'm using I think a 13" 6yr-old monitor, and I find it adequate. So the 19" will be a pretty big step up. Still not sure if I'll get the samsung crt or nec.

The parts list looks good to go, you will of course need a video card and you may want to add a sound card (the mobo has onboard sound, but there are much better options).

I just pulled the trigger on a new Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen lcd display, it shipped today, should have it by Wednesday!
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #66 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I just pulled the trigger on a new Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen lcd display, it shipped today, should have it by Wednesday!
icon10.gif

Sir, I hate you.

-jealous wal

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #67 of 109
Quote:

http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/...px?modelid=531

VS512MB400 CL/CAS 2.5
VS512MB400C3 CL/CAS 3

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80098-6
$51.80 each

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair...atasheetV6.pdf
hmmm... they're double sided. I thought all AMDs should use Single Sided mem. hmmmm. At least you know you can use it in an Intel mobo.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...00X64C3AK2/512
Single Sided.

You'll have to decide if you want Single Sided (SS) or Double Sided (DS). Ask at www.abxzone to make sure.

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #68 of 109
i didnt' read other posts yet, but:

this is way easy. what you want hits the price/perforamance nitch for prosumer pc very well

some easy answers:
athlon 64
ram-if no overclock, basic corsair, kingston, gell, many others (2x512mb)
socket 939 mobo
nvidia 6600gt vid card (EASY choice)
seagate hd (if you need 200gb. or you could do two samsung 160gb's-might be interesting)

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #69 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
head over to newegg.com. they currently have a combo package of a AMD 64 3400+, Abit/MSI mobo, and 512MB of ram for around $500. that should geet you started.

i'm not fond of these packages. they tend to give you stuff that is more expensive, but not much more performance, then discount it. anyway, he wants 1gb of ram, and more power to him. though, if the package fits, great

i don't know what the nuts are talking about "$1700 isn't much for good performance". i must be honest and i say that's total bull**** and it's more than enough.

more reccomendations
evercase 4152 ?
nexus 120mm exhaust fan (want to buy mine
smily_headphones1.gif
)
zalman 7000alcu cpu fan/hs
zalman heatpipe cooler for vid card (might be able to remove fan entirely)

ps: wait, we are talking about you using this as an audio source, eh???

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #70 of 109
ok, this is my last pice of advice: go somewhere else for advice. some of the advice here is much "oh, i'd like this in my pc" and not what you need/want.

ps: building a pc is cake. just don't spill coffee in it or static-shock it and you'll be fine. be careful and deliberate

feel free to IM me if you like. just built my first pc a little bit ago. yes, it's well worth your time.

my rig: (basic: i.e. does everything quickly, doesn't do anything super well. most of the cheapest parts right now are very fast: the days of pentium 1's 2's and 3's are gone

sempron 2200+
512mb ram (all you need i'll say less you play much games or do vid-editing etc)
msi basic socket A mobo (crap for overclock, but i don't, though maybe i should)
seagate 160gb hd (wish i got samsung, but not by that much)
speeze whisperrock II w/zalman fanmate
rosewill cdrw/dvd (super cheap, works great, quieter than liteon)
emu 0404 sound
will get radeon 9550 vid card

i'm really tired of the endless "you need to spend more $$$$! crap. i think it's really ridiculous". you can get a fantastic system for that much money, though if i were you, i'd lower your budget for the comp, and upgrade your sound (depending on what you have)!

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #71 of 109
ok, i'm going to butt in again. here's a thought: i think you can go MUCH cheaper. i'd seriously consider savings/saving for a downpayment on a house if you are renting/ getting the **** out of the house etc.

so many folks round here live on their pc's. anyway, you relly have to think about what you want: if you're not going to be playing games much, a hi-end vid card is going to be wasted. same with a gig of ram, maybe same with hi-end cpu.

Mar 21, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #72 of 109
aurora, thanks. Walli, you just confused me even more.
tongue.gif

Uzziah, I don't necessairly live in front of my computer, but I use it a lot at night (I don't really sleep per se), or when I really have nothing to do. Sound isn't that big of a priority, since I watch mostly movies and music videos. My eyes are too busy keeping track of the screen to concentrate on the sound. This'll be more of a video/game/schoolwork rig.

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #73 of 109
Kirosia,

Is that an Abus or Abit board you're looking at? Is it an A8V or an AV8?

I'll disagree with Uzziah - building a PC is not a piece of cake - it is a science and an art.

http://www.google.com/search?q=a8v+m...en-US:xf_eek:fficial

If you're going with the Wi-Fi version you'll want version 2 or higher.

I don't suggest Asus boards to anyone who may be contemplating installing Linux as Asus doesn't supply driver specs. to the Linux community. Will you be using the SATA onboard Promise controller?

The memory question reflects my own findings. I have not been able to find an AMD White Paper on memory suggestions. I do know that Intel's White Paper suggests DS mem for their mobos. Some AMDs work best with SS mem. www.anandtech.com suggests running AMDs at 2.5-3-3-10 instead of 2.5-3-3-8 (the same for 3-3-3-8).

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...53#post1166553

Yes, I would probably go with the Corsair stuff.

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #74 of 109
Quote:

ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

Model# A8V DELUXE
Item # N82E16813131510

Specifications:
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon 64/Athlon 64 FX
Chipset: K8T800Pro + VT8237
RAM: 4x DIMM Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2x PS/2,1x COM,1x LPT,8x USB2.0(Rear 4),1x IEEE1394,1x RJ45,2x S/PDIF out,Audio Ports
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices, 1x ATA 133 up to 2 Devices by Promise 20378 with RAID 0/1/0+1
SATA: 2x Serial ATA with RAID 0/1, 2x Serial ATA by Promise 20378 with RAID 0/1/0+1
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC850 8-CH
Onboard LAN: Marvell 88E8001 GbE
Onboard IEEE1394: 2x 1394 ports
Form Factor: ATX

I don't plan on running linux. I'm not even sure if I'll overclock. I fear decreasing the life of my pc.

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #75 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
My short answer si simple - get TCCD memory. I believe you may still be able to get Patriot RAM which uses TCCD chips. Yes, TCCD chips are usually the overclocker's preference.

If you do decide to get PDP Patriot ram, and you want tccd, be sure and get the XBL kits. Non-XBL Patriot uses Infineon chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back