Need decision on good open backs under $200
Oct 28, 2019 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ACupOfJ0e

New Head-Fier
so i've been looking to get into the audio scene lately (and by lately i mean been researching for about 5 months) and i'm not confident which one to go for, because where i live there are no stores to try out headphones in, so i don't know what my preferred sound signature is, so i will try to provide every bit of information i can think of to help you with helping me.

Music genres: Rock,Rap,Jazz,Blues,EDM,Classical,etc.

Other Usage: I will be using these headphones for gaming, mainly fps, so positional audio is very important, another main use is movies so bass is preferred for action movies, but not too much bass tho.

Preferences: I prefer that the headphone has good build quality, and also a good attractive design is preferable, but most importantly a wide soundstage and detailed imaging is a must, the soundstage shouldn't be too wide tho so it wouldn't interfere with imaging.

List of headphones i'm looking at:
1-dt990 /dt880 pros
2-he400i
3-hd558/598/599
4 philips fidelio x2
5- suggestions appreciated!
thanks in advance!
(note : my budget limit for an amp dac combo is the fiio e10k)

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Soundmagic HP200 headphones.

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Presonus HD7 blue ring originals from 2011-2016
Clone of Superlux and great sound stage.
Light on bass and instrumental body.
Do not have the tonal richness of Senn HD600 family.

$65 USD new
$25 used

Superlux 681 burgundy ring are avaliable at thomannmusic.com.

16EUR but huge shipping fee.

These have great soundstage, great for classical, guitar, folk, female vocals.

For $16 16EUR cannot be beat.

Next step up is $200 to $400.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Sep 10, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 10
so i've been looking to get into the audio scene lately (and by lately i mean been researching for about 5 months) and i'm not confident which one to go for, because where i live there are no stores to try out headphones in, so i don't know what my preferred sound signature is, so i will try to provide every bit of information i can think of to help you with helping me.

Music genres: Rock,Rap,Jazz,Blues,EDM,Classical,etc.

Other Usage: I will be using these headphones for gaming, mainly fps, so positional audio is very important, another main use is movies so bass is preferred for action movies, but not too much bass tho.

Preferences: I prefer that the headphone has good build quality, and also a good attractive design is preferable, but most importantly a wide soundstage and detailed imaging is a must, the soundstage shouldn't be too wide tho so it wouldn't interfere with imaging.

List of headphones i'm looking at:
1-dt990 /dt880 pros
2-he400i
3-hd558/598/599
4 philips fidelio x2
5- suggestions appreciated!
thanks in advance!
(note : my budget limit for an amp dac combo is the fiio e10k)
I had philips shp9500 some time ago and imo for around 70 usd brand new it is unbeatable for value ,imaging/soundstage is fantastic for the price and sound wise very balanced, not too colored in any ways, no listening fatigue. For gaming especially the comfort is pretty incredible, I never had a more comfortable headphone, it is light and very little clamp pressure.

Also I happened to pair it with e10k as well, this was my first audio setup and used for a few years, for a budget setup you really can't go wrong. e10k also has a bass boost function which I used very frequently with bass tracks (rap, edm etc), so if you think shp9500 is a little lacking in bass then it is a very quick fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back