Need DAP with Sennheiser HD 650
Nov 7, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #46 of 48
Yeah, I'm not sure the CXA81 will drive the hd650 properly. It's a guess here. I'm not aware of integrated amp driving both speakers and harder to drive headphones well, not at that price. If it does not, just add a topping L30 that you can connect to your CXA81 through RCA interconnects.

Just an update that I got the CXA81 and Wharfedale Evo 4.4s and they sound amazing. Thanks for all the help!

I've been using bluetooth. Is it possible to go directly from my computer to the DAC and would this potentially improve the quality over bluetooth?

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #47 of 48
The CXA81 happens to have integrated bluetooth aptx-hd. Now you computer needs to be able to output aptx-hd to get the best ouf to bluetooth. It is likely not able to do so. If not, you can buy a simple USB adapter. I can't really recommend one particular to you but make sure it has aptx-hd and has an antenna for better signal. You can try it up for cheap but a streamer would be a better way to achieve wireless audio from your computer to CXA81. Quite a bit more expensive though so you be the judge, it's your wallet after all! :)

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #48 of 48
Just an update that I got the CXA81 and Wharfedale Evo 4.4s and they sound amazing. Thanks for all the help!

I've been using bluetooth. Is it possible to go directly from my computer to the DAC and would this potentially improve the quality over bluetooth?
Congrats. Sounds like you got a great system.

Stay away from bluetooth and anything driven by a laptop using a USB connect. They significantly reduce the sound quality of the music. The best thing you can do to enhance your current system is to purchase a Bluesound Node 2i streamer. That will allow you to deliver the Tidal stream directly to your AMP and the sound will be clean and the sound stage will open up significantly. You can use your smartphone or laptop to control the music. I have HD650 and HD600 headphones driven by a bottlehead crack. I was getting the tidal stream from my laptop or iPad or iphone via USB to a modi multibit dac. When I replaced the USB portion with the Node 2i, the sound quality was amazingly improved. I liked it so much, I got a Poly to pair with my Chord Mojo and the same thing happened to the sound by getting rid of USB.

Also, if you listen mostly to classical music, you should consider getting a pair of HD600 headphones. They are better for classical music and pretty cheap. But, given that music will be your profession, you may want to consider the HD800S in the future. I find the HD600/650 are great for small combo Jazz and smaller ensembles and most music I listen to. But symphony orchestra music does not sound that great since these headphones don't provide sufficient detail and resolution to the music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back