Need DAP with Sennheiser HD 650
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 48
So I wound up cancelling my laptop order and I'm going to build a PC. And I went with the sound card Creative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9 32-bit. It comes with a DAC, but I might want to upgrade it. Hopefully it is powerful enough for my HD 650.
Wow, if I'm reading the specs right that has the Sabre 9038, which I think is their flagship chip. I doubt you'd need a better DAC. What I can't tell is what kind of power the headphone amp has. So don't know how well it'll drive the 650. You may still want to look into a decent external amp (both Schiit and JDS make killer $100 headphone amps if budget is a concern, just to name a couple). But again, I'm pretty sure you'd be set with that DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 48
Not sure if this is going to help or hurt, but I've found my iBasso DX220 + Amp8 drives my HD650s just fine. I had to replace the cable on the HD650s, of course, to get 4.4mm. The DX220 can operate as an external DAC on a computer, too. DX220 + Amp8 + new HD650 cable (I went with Corpse Gravedigger) should be in the $1300-$1400 USD range. I also have a Schiit Jotunheim, and it drives the HD650s like a champ, but its multibit DAC doesn't do MQA.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 48
Schiit does not do MQA and does not do DSD. FAIL

Anyway, the DAC in a laptop is not the main problem with a pair of 650s. The problem is you need a good amp or you wasted your money on some rather fabulous headphones that can scale to great heights with a good amp, preferably tube OTL. If not, a strong solid state amp that can swing 15V and can supply a watt per channel at 300 ohms will make you very happy. Those amps do not have to be expensive.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #20 of 48
By doesn't do MQA, you mean it won't take advantage of the master quality tracks? I'm wondering if their more expensive modular amp model the Lyr would do MQA.
Right, it cannot do the second unfold for MQA. So you can get the first unfold via software, but you're not getting the higher bitrate of the hardware unfold (so 96 instead of 192, etc).

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #21 of 48
Schiit does not do MQA and does not do DSD. FAIL

Anyway, the DAC in a laptop is not the main problem with a pair of 650s. The problem is you need a good amp or you wasted your money on some rather fabulous headphones that can scale to great heights with a good amp, preferably tube OTL. If not, a strong solid state amp that can swing 15V and can supply a watt per channel at 300 ohms will make you very happy. Those amps do not have to be expensive.

Thanks! Do you have any specific recommendations?

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #22 of 48
Thanks! Do you have any specific recommendations?

There are a lot of amp makers in the fullsize amp subforum. Bottlehead Crack (kit) or a used Valhalla 2 would be affordable tube OTL choices that would do a great job. In solid state there is Meier and probably tons of other options I haven't heard or heard of.

For DACs, it helps if you decide if you need MQA or DSD and then pick one. Cost can vary a lot if you need MQA. DSD is supported by almost everybody nowadays except schiit.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #23 of 48
For DACs, it helps if you decide if you need MQA or DSD and then pick one. Cost can vary a lot if you need MQA. DSD is supported by almost everybody nowadays except schiit.

Right now I am using the HD650s through this amp that came with my Soundblaster AE-9, Tidal to stream. I'm not sure if I need support for MQA or DSD...I guess MQA? I don't know.

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Sep 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 48
Right now I am using the HD650s through this amp that came with my Soundblaster AE-9, Tidal to stream. I'm not sure if I need support for MQA or DSD...I guess MQA? I don't know.

MQA is pretty much only if you have a Tidal hifi subscription and want to get the most out of it. Prices for MQA capable DACs are all over the place, if you want one you have to consider your budget.

DSD is important if you have SACD rips or buy DSD downloads. Otherwise, any good DAC will do. But most DACs do support DSD, it is not hard to fine one.

The amps I mentioned will probably make your HD 650s sound like a new pair of headphones compared to what you're using now.

The problem is finding a dacamp combo unit that has enough power to drive 300 ohm Sennheisers properly. I can't recommend any. I prefer to go with separate DAC and amp. I do have some dacamps but I don't use them with my Sennheisers.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #26 of 48
So yeah, looking for a DAC that supports MQA, and one that I can use with the HD 650s and also with speakers (looking into revel performa/concerto). Brooklyn+ maybe ?

Mytek products are certainly interesting but you would need the AMP+ and DAC+ combo to drive both headphones and speakers. That's $4295. When talking this kind of money, you have a lot of options but know that you also have cheaper options.

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #27 of 48
Mytek products are certainly interesting but you would need the AMP+ and DAC+ combo to drive both headphones and speakers. That's $4295. When talking this kind of money, you have a lot of options but know that you also have cheaper options.
I did see some USB DACs that support MQA for under $400 but I didn't think that would be powerful enough. Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper combo?

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #28 of 48
So yeah, looking for a DAC that supports MQA, and one that I can use with the HD 650s and also with speakers (looking into revel performa/concerto). Brooklyn+ maybe ?

The Brooklyn DAC+ is a beautiful piece of hardware. If you have active speakers (self-powered) you can run them off the RCA or XLR outs. But if not, like @bland125 said you will need an integrated amp.

I don't run my Sennheisers off my Brooklyn either. It goes into a V280. But you might be ok with the balanced cable Y adapter. It plugs into the two front 1/4 inch jacks and terminates in an XLR you can plug headphones into. I have it but I didn't test it much.

Basically what I want to say is it's better to have seperates (dac and amp) for certain headphones and Sennheiser 300 ohm dynamics are on that list.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 48
I don't have much to add other than to point out an error earlier in the thread: The HD 650 do not need 15V or massive amounts of power. They require 3.9V and between 51mW to 128mW* to reach 120dB. Anything beyond that is completely superfluous. Obviously, they require less power/voltage for lower listening levels.

*I've seen sensitivity ratings for the HD 650 between 99dB @1mW and 103dB @1mW.

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #30 of 48
I agree with separates. Give you more flexibility and make it all a bit more future proof. I think the Brooklyn DAC+ is a great option, I don't really know it but from reviews I have seen and pure specs, solid contender. For the amp, I would recommend this for anything like the bookshelves you wrote about: https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/sta-9/?v=b0c4bc877c29

I have one and I love it. For the price, I can't fault it at all. You got towers? Buy 2! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back