Need DAC Advice for Netbook - Schiit Lyr - Audeze LCD-2 System
May 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

floydfan33

500+ Head-Fier
I am building a sitting room system, and am looking for a DAC to fill the last gap.

I would like it to be a nice match for the Lyr, both sonically and aesthetically as it is in a family sitting area, and will be on a table beside the couch.

I would like the DAC to have an optical in as well for a CD transport.

I would use my HDP, but am happy with it in my office, and want to leave it there.

Suggestions?

May 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 11
I am using a Yulong D100 which is in your price range and am very impressed with how well it sounds. I am in the process of ordering LCD 2's hopefully this week so I can't help you there yet, but Skylab and someone else can't remember recommended the Yulong D100 within my price range. The dac in the D100 would probably work incredibly with the LCD 2 since it is a shade on the bright side, which is what I'm hoping for to make the LCD 2 not too dark for my tastes. Right now I'm using a mid fi can of the DT 990's with the Lyr and D100 and incredibly impressed and happy with this set up.

May 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I am using a Yulong D100 which is in your price range and am very impressed with how well it sounds. I am in the process of ordering LCD 2's hopefully this week so I can't help you there yet, but Skylab and someone else can't remember recommended the Yulong D100 within my price range. The dac in the D100 would probably work incredibly with the LCD 2 since it is a shade on the bright side, which is what I'm hoping for to make the LCD 2 not too dark for my tastes. Right now I'm using a mid fi can of the DT 990's with the Lyr and D100 and incredibly impressed and happy with this set up.

Project86 wrote a great review of the D100.  Here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499562/review-yulong-d100-dac-amp-reference-quality-with-a-reasonable-price

May 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 11

You could always wait for the Schiit Dac to come out next month.  That way you can have a whole lot of Schiit on your desk...that matches both "sonically and aesthetically" to the Lyr.

Quote:
I am building a sitting room system, and am looking for a DAC to fill the last gap.

I would like it to be a nice match for the Lyr, both sonically and aesthetically as it is in a family sitting area, and will be on a table beside the couch.

I would like the DAC to have an optical in as well for a CD transport.

I would use my HDP, but am happy with it in my office, and want to leave it there.

Suggestions?

May 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
You could always wait for the Schiit Dac to come out next month.  That way you can have a whole lot of Schiit on your desk...that matches both "sonically and aesthetically" to the Lyr.

I am leaning to this now that I have read the Schiit Dac thread.

My LCD-2's arrived today (4 days to Canada. Thanks Audez'e!), and are sounding mighty fine straight out of my HDP!

May 19, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 11
I recently did a blind test with some dac's and discovered the difference's between them were very very small.
I would suggest you look at an emu 0404 because they measure extremely well so scientifically they subtract/add almost nothing to the sound.

May 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 11
Settled on the Marix Mini-I which has a pretty good reputation for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back