Need Closed Back Headphones Recommendation ~300$ for LG v30
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #16 of 21
Wanna get full potential out of v30+headphones duo, so will probably wait for a discount for h6 or 99 classics. Appreciate everyone`s involved in this thread comment.
Can basic PC drive them or I need extra power? Or will the sound improve significantly with the amplifier?

Hi @Woee,

Other headphone suggestions I can add in no particular order not already on the list :

Sony MDR 1AM2
Shure SRH 940

For your PC, I would suggest getting a USB audio interface first to improve sound quality.
Something like the Lexicon Alpha or any Focusrite Scarlett Series would fit your needs & improve sound quality dramatically.
If you're unfamiliar, audio interfaces are basically sound recording devices with built in DSP/DAC & many come with good head outs.
You can get good deals on interfaces at any pro audio shop.
Head amps are good options too but get an audio interface first if you looking to improve sound quality first & foremost.
As a final point, your source needs to be at least CD quality in the first place as otherwise, no matter how good your gear is, it will still sound terrible if the source ain't great.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #17 of 21
The specs on the HD 25 SP are here: https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/707/HD_25-GB.pdf

The SP is *not* a hifi headhone. Response is only 30-16KHz. The sensitivity is 20 dB down from the regular HD 25 which can't help with portable devices either.
The HD 25 II-1 is available here for the equivalent of USD 207. Sometimes it's nice to live in a 2nd world country. We have a lot of NOS stuff nobody else wants :wink:

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 21
The HD 25 II-1 is available here for the equivalent of USD 207. Sometimes it's nice to live in a 2nd world country. We have a lot of NOS stuff nobody else wants :wink:

That is not a bargain. Sennheiser’s list price in Europe for the current HD 25, which replaces the HD 25 II-1, is €149.00. The street price, e.g. from Thomann, is €127.00, which is US$147.00. That is $60, or about €52, less than the quote you have apparently been given for the HD 25 II-1.

It is my understanding that Sennheiser did lower the price when it introduced the current HD 25. There would not seem to be any point in buying NOS at the price you mention. For NOS, I would want to see a significant discount from the current HD 25 street price of €127.

By the way, have you tried the HD 26? If so, how do you think it compares?

P.S. One important market for the HD 25 is film and video sound recording. In that market, the HD 25 was at an increasing disadvantage on price vis a vis its main competitor, Sony’s MDR-7506. This might help explain the apparent price reduction.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #19 of 21
That is not a bargain. Sennheiser’s list price in Europe for the current HD 25, which replaces the HD 25 II-1, is €149.00. The street price, e.g. from Thomann, is €127.00, which is US$147.00. That is $60, or about €52, less than the quote you have apparently been given for the HD 25 II-1.

It is my understanding that Sennheiser did lower the price when it introduced the current HD 25. There would not seem to be any point in buying NOS at the price you mention. For NOS, I would want to see a significant discount from the current HD 25 street price of €127.

By the way, have you tried the HD 26? If so, how do you think it compares?

P.S. One important market for the HD 25 is film and video sound recording. In that market, the HD 25 was at an increasing disadvantage on price vis a vis its main competitor, Sony’s MDR-7506. This might help explain the apparent price reduction.

Thanks for reminding me about Thoman! It's 143 USD if I order from them. My local chain has prices all over the place, sometimes good, sometimes bad. I just meant to say they're still available here.

I have not tried the HD 26 and I don't know anything about them. I have been using Sennheisers for about 40 years but even with them I don't have a wide range of experience and I tend to stick with what I like and not look further. I usually prefer speakers and haven't collected that many headphones over the years.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 21
If you are okay with on ears, I'd also recommend the Thinksound On2. These little guys absolutely blew my mind. They also trigger high impedance with the 50 ohm rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back