need amp to drive Denon D5000's? ($300-$400 range)
May 16, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #16 of 23
yes, the markl mod is a very worthwhile endeavor isnt it?
bigsmile_face.gif

May 17, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 23
Absolutely. I would have sold the D5000 if no such mod existed, or if the mods weren't as advertised. After listening for a few days, I realized I could part with the HD-650 and sold them the next week.

May 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other amps which go well w/ the D2000/D5000 under $400 are: 1) Graham Slee Novo, 2) Used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, and 3) Jaycar DIY headphone amp.

I second that also. I have the D2000's, Novo and X-Can V2 as well.

May 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #21 of 23
guess i'm late to the party here, but i was waiting for someone to get back to me on the availability of the Perreaux SXH2...

Perreaux have a new U.S. distributor, finally...they disappeared there for a bit, twice...

anywhow, i used to own a SXH1 and used it, interestingly enough, with Grado HP-2...the pairing of an exceedingly neutral (if such a term can exist) can with a warmish amp worked better than i honestly thought it would...

the Perreaux, to me, gave the sense of listening directly to the source then being sucker punched
smile.gif
...sort of warm, but without muddying the details...

back when the SXH1 first hit the scene, i believe it was SovKiller who was using it with higher end (note: large cup) Sony cans yielding positive results...

those Sonys arguably suffered from some of the ill effects the Denons arguably have...

the newer, allegedly improved Perreaux sometimes pops up in the For Sale forum in the OP's price range...at this time, i'm unsure of the price their new distributor is asking...

May 22, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #22 of 23
I recently bought an RSA Predator off another Head-Fi'er and it seems to match with the D5000's quite well. Good soundstage (not too unnatural) and puts a bit of control to the bottom end, which is much needed, as I haven't done the Markl mod yet. Plus it has a built in DAC and is portable.

May 22, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #23 of 23
Audio GD c2c should drive those Denons really good, i've listened c2c with Creative aurvana live which are based on the same driver as TOP denons.
It sounded extremelly balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back