Need Amp $100-200 for HD650
Apr 21, 2007 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I run with Scissors. I currently have a CMoy powering my HD650s (lol), and it sounds like crap. Can anyone reccomend a somewhat cheap amp in the $100-200 range for me? Thanks, IRunWithScissors.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 21
for that money I would buy used. the only one I know under $200 is Projects headphone amp, and it ain't that well appreciated. although I've not heard it myself. maybe you can find a used Musical Fidelity for $200? (it has tubes though)

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should look up the Original Master. It's a great sounding amp that can be had very cheap!

I guess Musical Fidelity XCAN V2 sells for $160, which should be satisfying your HD650. Headroom's TotalAirhead is now sells around $99. You can consider that also.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 21
I'd say the Go-Vibe 6 or iBasso P1. Both are highly regarded around these parts, and a good deal at about $100.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the OP doesn't need portability I think home amps would be a better choice overall for the HD650.

Yea, looking for a Home amp, not a portable one. I might extend to $250 if I need to. Thanks, IRunWithScissors.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 21
In that range, the Little Dot 2++ and Xenos OHA-REP are pretty good. The latter is normally used as a portable, but I use it as a home amp.

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 21
You might can find a used PPA amp for that price. PPA is highly underrated here.

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 21
To throw a curveball here, OP, if you're confident of your DIY skills, you could try piecing up a nice little SOHA for anywhere from $90 to $200. Plus, if you don't like the sound, you could change the configuration of your own amp (to an extent, that is - opamps and tubes).

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 21
Aflac you play maplestory? Or maybe I play too much and I'm seeing things
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by IRunWithScissors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, looking for a Home amp, not a portable one. I might extend to $250 if I need to. Thanks, IRunWithScissors.

The Gilmore Lite (used) without the PS should be within your price range. Its very grado-y so keep that in mind.

and also, I think you should stop running with scissors because you might hurt yourself and others around you, and especially, you might hurt your ears which wont help you in listening with the HD650s!

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 21
Yes contact Mister X and let he build a custom made pimeta for you. I have mine and it battles the Heed toe to toe quite remarkable...

Even though I kind of lean towards the Heed but then it´s 3 times the price! I wouldn´t recommend that one over the Pimeta for that reason. No problem finding music that sounds better on the Pimeta too. It has a tighter bass which really helps some music. Whereas the Heed gives me more lower bass.

So yes I would agree they are underrated here
smily_headphones1.gif

mine has the AD8620 OPAMP it works great for me. If you want it tight it´s for you. The Heed is not as fast it feels like with my Proline 750.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Yes contact Mister X and let he build a custom made pimeta for you. I have mine and it battles the Heed toe to toe quite remarkable...

Even though I kind of lean towards the Heed but then it´s 3 times the price! I wouldn´t recommend that one over the Pimeta for that reason. No problem finding music that sounds better on the Pimeta too. It has a tighter bass which really helps some music. Whereas the Heed gives me more lower bass.

So yes I would agree they are underrated here .

mine has the AD8620 OPAMP it works great for me. If you want it tight it´s for you. The Heed is not as fast it feels like with my Proline 750.

A used PPA is a superior design to the Pimeta. I would get a used PPA for your HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back