Need advice on Westone UM3x....how do they compare to UM1?
May 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

johnsoft349

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I know this is a bit of an odd question, because clearly the UM3x is a 350ish dollar pair of IEMS, while the UM1 is only 110 dollars and is not considered high-end by any means. The reason I ask is because I, until recently, was using UM1s and they are my only frame of reference for IEMs. I'll tell you a bit about what I use my IEMs for, and then about how I felt about the UM1, and then if you could give me some thoughts on the UM3x, I'd be very appreciative.

My personal use: I used my UM1s for a few purposes. The two important ones are personal listening with an iPod (I prefer not to use any kind of amp or anything), and then on-stage performance. I'm a drummer in a band and we play with a backing-track, so I need good isolation to hear my click track and keep track of clips and samples and such.

My opinion of the UM1: Just like everyone else, I think Westone makes tremendously comfortable headphones. I like everything about the UM1s but the sound. I found them to be excessively neutral, with some treble roll-off and lacking in bass. The overall sound quality was decent, and they made fine stage-monitors, but they were not great for personal listening. The treble was harshish at high frequencies, and as I mentioned, the bass was not really satisfactory (though not entirely abysmal). Soundstage was satisfactory, that's not a huge concern for me, because for on-stage use I really just need good distinction between left and right.

Based on what I've said here, do the UM3x's seem like a good choice? I've done a great deal of research, looking at the W3, Sennheiser ie8, shure e530, etc. I feel confident that the UM3x would be a perfect on-stage IEM because it will provide the same isolation, comfort, etc. that I had with my UM1s. I'm more concerned, however, with the personal listening. The UM1's were okay, but if i'm gonna spend 300 bucks, I want something that will be pretty fun to listen to when I'm hanging out at home or walking to class, etc. I'm by NO means an audiophile, but rather just a guy who likes to have a high-quality sound. I don't need crushing bass or pristine highs, just enough of each that I can hear all parts of the music and enjoy them fully.

Thanks for any help! I'd appreciate quick responses if possible, we have shows coming up and I'll need the UM3x (or whatever else I buy) for practices, which are happening quite soon... so I want to make a decision and order in the next day or two.  Thanks guys.

May 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 5
UM3x would be a big step up, but if you want a fun one or musical, probably best to go with a dynamic driver? i myself own um2 and found it to be too analytical (though this would be good for your stage performance). Right now, i'm going with entry level dynamic driver the shure se215, which sounds great, makes my music sounds fun instead of analytical, and it does analytical pretty good too.

I've tried the um3x before it sounded nice, real nice but only if you like how the um series sounds, and comfort wise, it's westone, it's great.

Good luck and have fun

May 18, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
UM1 should be lacking in bass, given that its frequency range stops at 40Hz. I loved mine when I had it, but there's no denying it's more for vocalists and maybe guitarists, not so much for drummers on-stage.

The UM3X is certainly capable (technically) of doing what you want it to do, but in terms of how it sounds flat, no EQ? For that, may I refer you this thread: 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553745/top-tier-showdown-updated-w3-um3x/120#post_7480701

May 19, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the link, Eric_C. That thread was helpful, though it really made me only more curious.. haha. I posted in there, hopefully I can get some more feedback.

Does anyone else have anything to say? I really just need to know if the UM3x has enough bass/full enough sound to be enjoyable to listen to for personal use. Any comparison to UM1s would be especially relevant, since I own them, but any input is greatly appreciated.

May 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 5
I owned the um1,2,3x and w3's at some point, switching between the four and found the um3x to be much more detailed with deeper bass and clarity than the um1s.

Essentially you're getting a VERY similar sound signature as the um1 but because the 3x is slightly harder to drive than the um1s due to the higher impedance, you may not hear the full impact of the bass when connected to your non amped source.

Consider the w3 since you like more "fun" bass inclined un amped music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back