need advice on new in-ears
Nov 17, 2010 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

redje

New Head-Fier
hi,

i'm looking for some new in-ears. I can't remember my last ones, but i currently have a full-size headphone akg-k240 studio, from which i particularly like the sound. I mostly listen to electronic music like psybient, minimal, jazz and triphop. After searching the forum i'm confused what to buy. At first i wanted to buy the superfi 5 vi, but they're hard to get now. I'm going to use them in bed, just before falling asleep and cycling (fast, so isolating the wind is important).

i'm doubting between the following:
Ultimate ears Superfi 5 vi
Beyerdynamic DTX100
Klipsch Image S4i
Etymotic Research Hf2

my main concerns after reading the forum are:
Superfi: do they sound too warm or are the altering the sound, as i like clean studio sound, overal flat response
Beyer: don't know i always found the beyer's to be bass-heavy especially in the full-size headphones
klipsch: are they too bass heavy?
etymotic: are they too clean and lacking bass, or is it that most people are used to heavy bass?

can anyone help me out a bit deciding?

thnx

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 24
I haven't heard any of the IEMs you mention (except the S4) but to me it sounds like you want a fischer audio dba-02. :) relatively flat and neutral, not too much of anything. about $150. great detail and transparency but enough bass. Sound brilliant when amped, but don't need an amp to sound great. Check the reviews here on head-fi!

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 24
Panasonic HJE900, Sleek Audio SA6, DBA-02, MC5, SM2 and Westone2........

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 24
+1 on Fischer DBA-02's.

I find that with deep insertion they have minimal wind noise, but I'd also caution that they isolate well enough that will not hear most road noise when cycling. I like that sport, too, but would be very cautious about using them in that environment.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
+1 on Fischer DBA-02's.

I find that with deep insertion they have minimal wind noise, but I'd also caution that they isolate well enough that will not hear most road noise when cycling. I like that sport, too, but would be very cautious about using them in that environment.

I know, last headphones were also in-ears, so i have experience with it. I only cycle straight roads and in the middle of knowhere, where there's no traffic.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 24

+1 on Fischer DBA-02's.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 24
Joker's summary table in Post #8 of his epic review thread has a column that indicates models with mic/remote.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 24
hmmmm... Phonak Audéo PFE seem the only one with microphone which has good results on audio quality. I wonder how the Ultimate ears compare to these. Ultimately the DBA-02's do seem to have one of the best audio quality and that's what counts in the end. And they even are at an affordable price :) Anyone else can contribute on this thread?

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Panasonic HJE900, Sleek Audio SA6, DBA-02, MC5, SM2 and Westone2........

1+ For some reason I think you would be happy with the DBA-02, do you want a mic on the phones? If so the Phonak....

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
@Confispect - What do you like about the DBA-02? I'm thinking about getting in on this incoming shipment.

Clarity, instrument separation, and funny but these sound extremely musical for a BA, Pana musical but without the added bass. basically if you want a DBA detail with more bass, go with the Pana. Allthough slightly lusher, v-type etc. Rather paradox phones, they strike a good balance of sorts.

Quote:
this review in what hifi makes wonder about the phonak: http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Phonak-Audeo-PFE-111/  how can they be so wrong about these in-ears so many people seem to rate them high?

o_O what where these guys listening to? No transparency hmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back