need advice on amp LD MKVII+( should i upgrade from MKV)?
Jul 29, 2010 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

furyagain

500+ Head-Fier
Currently i have a LD DAC1 + MKV combo
and i was thinking about getting a MKIII or MKIV also..( to try out the tube sound)

but  the more i read about the MKVII+ the more i want to get it...

if i get a MKVII+ and sell the MKV now , i will not be able to get a MKIII or IV now..

if you are me , will you get the MKVII+ now???

also , i heard that the dt-880 600ohm is better with tube amp..
will MKVII+ SS amp be able to do it ???( much nicer then MKV???)

( i have hd600, grado 225i, D7000, DT-880 600ohm, will MKVII+ drive them nicely , and will not make me regret my purchase?)

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 9
well are you looking into the mk VII because you want to go balanced?  or just because it sounds nice?

I would say it depends on your goals....if you're gonna go balanced, then the mk VII would probably be a great way to start...but if now, I'd suggest going the tube route, just to experience it!

I'll let some more experience folks chime in though.....

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 9
can i have both ???

I do want to try out the balanced setting, as my LD DAC1 can do balanced output,   i just need cable for that.

also, i do want to get a amp which have more power for my headphones., as many people said the MKV is just not that powerful...
i hope the MKVII+ is good enough for the DT-880 600ohm

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Specs say the MKVII+ has about twice the output (300Mw -> 300 ohms) as the MKV. Even run single ended it sounds great with HD650s,600s etc.

Balanced is where this amp really shines and is certainly worth the investment IMO. I'm awaiting delivery of the DAC-1 and already have the cables. Hearing this set-up is what cemented my own decision to get it.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 9
I am going to try out the balanced setting with hd600 first if I like it, I will then send my dt880 600ohm for recable, wish me luck.I will have the mkvii+ this coming week.

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I am going to try out the balanced setting with hd600 first if I like it, I will then send my dt880 600ohm for recable, wish me luck.I will have the mkvii+ this coming week.

Good luck!

You don't really need luck on this as it is a very hard amp to beat for the price. Heard balanced you will be happy (assuming you have a balanced source etc. to take advantage of it's potential).

Edit: I see in your sig you have a DAC-1 so you're all set once you have the cables. (Not hard to make.)

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 9
I just Ordered a Silver dragonV2 for my HD600

so
computer optical--> LD DAC1-> XLR interconnect( bought throught little dot)-> MKVII+ --> Silver dragon V2 --> HD600

I really do hope this setting will bring atleast 95% of what HD600 can do.

many people said the DT-880 600ohm and HD600/650 do better with tube amp,
is it true???

how good will MKVII+ drive them in balanced setting?

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I just Ordered a Silver dragonV2 for my HD600

so
computer optical--> LD DAC1-> XLR interconnect( bought throught little dot)-> MKVII+ --> Silver dragon V2 --> HD600

many people said the DT-880 600ohm and HD600/650 do better with tube amp,
is it true???

how good will MKVII+ drive them in balanced setting?

I Drive CD3000's and K1000's from a MK VII,I do not think you will have any problems with the Mk VII+,these are a fantastic amp and a great combo with the DAC 1.

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

I cant vouch for it myself, but I hear the hd600s and 650s are seemingly endless in their improvment when you feed them with better and better amps!  So, I doubt you'll be getting 95% of what they can do, but at least you know the phones arent the weak link!  haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back