need advice from you experience audiophiles for an amp
Jun 28, 2011 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

valtopps

100+ Head-Fier
im done with cheap set-ups (senn 595, hifiman ef2 amp/dac)
now i just bought a hrt stream II + dac to start my new set-up. I'm going to sell my senn 595 and maybe get a senn 600 or the 650
so my question is what amp would you recommend for about $400-$500.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Woo Audio WA3
Little Dot MK IV SE
Darkvoice La Figaro 339

Each of these is great amp and should provide good synergy with your future headphones.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 17
thanks impulsive,
Ive been reading a lot of reviews on the amps you recommend. they all got good reviews, tough to decide now.
what would be a good price if i found these amp used here maybe that will help me decide.

Woo Audio WA3                  
Little Dot MK IV SE
Darkvoice La Figaro 339 

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 17
I would not buy a cheap tube amp. They cut too many corners.

However, your budget would let you buy a quality solid state amp like a Dynalo/Gilmore Lite or a M^3. I'm a big fan of the Dynalo; I'd pick it over any tube amp in the price range.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 17
I do not consider WA3 nor MK IV SE cheap tube amps.
Cheap tube amps are MK 1+, MK II, Bravo audio amps, etc.

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
hows the Gilmore Lite  amp?

The circuit is called the Dynalo and was designed by Kevin Gilmore, the most prolific headphone amplifier designer.  HeadAmp sold a Dynalo called "gilmore lite" for many years, but now they don't anymore. The only company that makes dynalos now is Taiwan's Sheer Audio. Kevin himself owns one and said it was a good implementation of his design. Last year I bought one of the very first Gilmore Lites and I can testify that it has the power to drive almost anything. It's an excellent amplifier for any dynamic headphone. Any dynalo you can buy - whether a gilmore lite, sheer audio, or a secondhand home-built version - should sound very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back