Need advice for AKG K702 (resolved)
Sep 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ArcaneSojourner

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of AKG K702 headphones. I am powering them with a Fiio E7/E9 DAC/amp combo. The headphones are used exclusively with my PC for music, video games and movies.

I am looking for an upgrade to the DAC and amp to better power the headphones. I have a budget of approximately $500 - with $200 of those coming from Amazon gift cards.

I've searched the forums for some advice and seen a lot of different suggestions. I have some specific questions about the following items:

• Do I need a DAC with my computer? I currently have on-board sound. Could something like the ASUS Xonar Sound card replace my DAC? Otherwise, is there a good DAC that I can purchase to replace my E7?
  • What is a good amp in this price range to power the headphones?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 7
1. You're already using a DAC, i don't think there'll be a huge difference. Still, something like Xonar STX is a good value for money amp+dac combo.
2. Depends on you're power requirements, I use the ODAC + O2. The total combination is somewhere around 250-300.

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I currently have a pair of AKG K702 headphones. I am powering them with a Fiio E7/E9 DAC/amp combo. The headphones are used exclusively with my PC for music, video games and movies.

I am looking for an upgrade to the DAC and amp to better power the headphones. I have a budget of approximately $500 - with $200 of those coming from Amazon gift cards.

I've searched the forums for some advice and seen a lot of different suggestions. I have some specific questions about the following items:

• Do I need a DAC with my computer? I currently have on-board sound. Could something like the ASUS Xonar Sound card replace my DAC? Otherwise, is there a good DAC that I can purchase to replace my E7?
  • What is a good amp in this price range to power the headphones?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Might  I suggest the new music hall 25.3 dac which has a headphone output.But it cost a liitle more $600.But that is not much above your targeted budget.I used to own the shanling hybrid headphone amp and it drove my akg 701s quite well.Read the enjoy the music review of this new dac by music hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back