Need Advice: Audio-gd FUN/Sparrow or LD I+
May 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

I am looking for an upgrade to my laptop set up. I am currently only using an uDac as a dac/amp combo to drive my MS1i. Here are two options I have considered:

The first option: Audio-gd FUN or Sparrow (basic versions). They are clearly a step up from my uDac. What I am not sure about is the synergy they will have with low impedance phones (I am also looking for a pair of D2000s
smile_phones.gif
). It is also an easier setup to me as I don’t need another dedicated dac or amp. I will sell my uDac if I go with this option.

The second option: uDac + LD I+. I have seen many threads on this forum about how well the uDac and LD I+ combination drives low impedance phones like grados and denons. Not sure if it will outperform the Audio-gd.

What do you guys think? Is the combination pf uDac and LD I+ comparable to the Audio-gd FUN or Sparrow? Which one is better to use on low impedance phones like MS1i and D2000. Of course, please feel free to throw out any other alternatives if you think they are better.

Another question: if I go with the 1st option, could I use my udac as a usb to spdif converter to feed the FUN or Sparrow (my laptop doesn't have spdif out)? I know that the udac is only upto 48/16, whereas FUN and Sparrow supports 96/24 (up to 192/24). Will using udac as a concerter affect the SQ out of the FUN and Sparrow?

Tons of thinks
smile_phones.gif

May 18, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 19
Had I known the Sparrow was coming, I might have waited. Audio-gd has a real following here, but the FUN was out of my budget on even the basic model.

With that said, I'm very happy with my LD and uDAC.

The uDAC doesn't output S/PDIF. The headphone out is analog, and the RCA outs on the back are analog too. There's no digital output, which is what S/PDIF is.

May 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 19
Not having heard the LD I only can comment on Audio GD FUN. I have it with MS1i and it absolutely blew my mind. I think my MS1i has finally reached its true potential. This is compared to iPod, laptop out and CA640a amplifiers headphone out. I can highly recommend it. But be warned having the FUN has made me start searching for even better phones for finding FUN's limits. Great amplifier.

May 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
Had I known the Sparrow was coming, I might have waited. Audio-gd has a real following here, but the FUN was out of my budget on even the basic model.

With that said, I'm very happy with my LD and uDAC.

The uDAC doesn't output S/PDIF. The headphone out is analog, and the RCA outs on the back are analog too. There's no digital output, which is what S/PDIF is.

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/index.php
Unless I misread something, isn't it saying that "Digital Output: coaxial RCA 75-ohm"? or Coaxial and S/PDIF are not the same thing as I thought?

I probably will sell the udac anyway if I go with the FUN or Sparrow. But I just want to make sure that I didn't pay for something that I misread about.....
beyersmile.png

May 18, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Not having heard the LD I only can comment on Audio GD FUN. I have it with MS1i and it absolutely blew my mind. I think my MS1i has finally reached its true potential. This is compared to iPod, laptop out and CA640a amplifiers headphone out. I can highly recommend it. But be warned having the FUN has made me start searching for even better phones for finding FUN's limits. Great amplifier.

Exactly, I was thinking to get a pair of HD600 if go with the FUN just to appreciate better
beyersmile.png
. Anyways, did you get the basic or the A version? Have you tried it on other phones?

May 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 19
I'd go for the LD + uDAC, personally (since I prefer tube hybrids to solid-state, and I'd prefer a dedicated DAC and amp), but Audio-GD is a solid operation (the Compass was a wonderful product), and I don't think you could go wrong either way.

May 18, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 19
i bought my fun a version before basic version was available. However if I was buying one right now i think i'd go with the basic version. And no I haven't tried it with any other real headphones but with re2 iems it does wonders too. However with sennheiser px100 it does absolutely nothinng. A friend of mine promised to lend me his T-1s so i have to take a look how well it will do with them.

May 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
i bought my fun a version before basic version was available. However if I was buying one right now i think i'd go with the basic version. And no I haven't tried it with any other real headphones but with re2 iems it does wonders too. However with sennheiser px100 it does absolutely nothinng. A friend of mine promised to lend me his T-1s so i have to take a look how well it will do with them.

Thanks for your input.

I am trying to decide between the Fun and the Sparrow now. The price difference on the basic version is about $100. Will anybody have heard both give some impression on them? (I know the Sparrow just came out a few weeks ago though)

Thanks

May 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 19
The Fun can also be used only as an AMP, while the sparrow cannot.  That is what made me choose the Fun over the sparrow a week ago.

The Fun basic and the Sparrow basic, should sould the same.

May 20, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 19
According to Audio-gd, they have equal level of sound quality but different sound flavor, don't know what difference between the two though, would have to ask audio-gd or wait for FUN vs sparrow comparisons.

May 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 19
Why it takes so long for them to get these usb chips in stock?? I contact them two weeks ago and still haven't heard a word back yet.....

By the way, as for versions with usb input, do they still support up to at least 96/24?

May 22, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 19
A little dot MKIII may be a good pair with you uDAC.  However, you best bet may be to sell the uDAC and get a sparrow.  Thats alot cheaper than a uDAC Little dot combo, and I am willing to be it sounds as good or better. (the Sparrow will be more neutral than the uDAC)

May 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 19
@Crazy*Carl: I have decided to go with the Sparrow (You probably have already seen my posts in the Sparrow thread). I am now just need to wait till they got the Sparrow (w/ usb) in stock:)

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 19
I'm kind of in a similar boat here. I currently have the udac, Denon 2000s, and at the moment a Cute Beyond amp. I'm kind of stuck on whether to sell the udac and amp and get a sparrow, or to pick up an LDI+ and sell the Cute Beyond. What would be the tradeoffs/differences?

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 19
Make sure you guys read these two key threads before you buy

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495666/audio-gd-sparrow-blind-test

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491256/how-much-of-a-realistic-improvment-from-soundcard-to-dac-amp

Hope these help you guys, come to a solid decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back