Need a V-Moda M-80 upgrade. Music prod. suiting
Mar 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aviadawg

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Ill start off by saying i really love my 80s and it fits my taste in music (house, dubstep etc..). After a few months with it built my appetite for something better, something in a definite "higher level" and not just a bit better, if it makes any sense. I also kinda like producing music for fun and i use headphones for that a lot. I know it's not ideal but considering the fact i do, what should i be looking for? I can assume a fairly even sound would be what to look for but i don't really know much so any help would be appreciated!! Maximum price should be at around 300-3500$    Thanks to all helpers!! :)

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 6
DT-770s are full sized, closed back with good bass response.  They're quite popular and easy to find.  I think more comfortable than the M-80s (which I also like) because of the full size cups... but also heavier and not (for most users) portable.

You'll find hundreds of postings recommending this one -- especially where the recommendation includes a requirement for satisfying bass support.

I auditioned, but then went for the DT-990s instead to get the bigger soundstage of the open model.  While I didn't compare back to back I think the 990s have more refinement, but the 770s more punch -- perhaps because of the closed back design.  

But do you still want the extreme portability of the M-80s?  Or will you keep those to wear out and about and keep the new headphones at home?

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Also, more neutral without the lift in the bass, would be the Sennheiser HD-600.  Terrifically refined and a really really big step up... but the cost is closer to $400.  You could find them used, of course.  But here's the thing -- for some listeners -- a headphone without emphasis in the bass, will just be disappointing.  So very hard to predict.

You produce music... so some people might want a very accurate (but maybe less fun) headphone for that.  Not sure that is what you're looking for, however.

Another thought -- in this price range is to look at IEMs... Not everyone finds those comfortable, though.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hi everyone! Ill start off by saying i really love my 80s and it fits my taste in music (house, dubstep etc..). After a few months with it built my appetite for something better, something in a definite "higher level" and not just a bit better, if it makes any sense. I also kinda like producing music for fun and i use headphones for that a lot. I know it's not ideal but considering the fact i do, what should i be looking for? I can assume a fairly even sound would be what to look for but i don't really know much so any help would be appreciated!! Maximum price should be at around 300-3500$    Thanks to all helpers!! :)

That's a pretty huge price range lol. Assuming you really meant $350 as your max, the Beyerdynamic DT880's would probably be your best bet. They're one of the most neutral headphones you can get at the price, which would be good for producing music. Coming off the M80's, though, they might not have enough bass for your tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back