NEED A SIMPLE DAC TO CONNECT HDTV TO STEREO RECEIVER
Jun 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
My grandparents just bought a new Samsung HDTV and it doesn't have any analog audio outputs. I was kinda shocked but i guess this makes sense to a company that wants to sell home-theater implements along with their TVs. Is the a cheap DAC that will let me do optical and decode whatever the TV digital audio puts out so i can hook their TV up to a vintage receiver and existing speakers?

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
My grandparents just bought a new Samsung HDTV and it doesn't have any analog audio outputs. I was kinda shocked but i guess this makes sense to a company that wants to sell home-theater implements along with their TVs. Is the a cheap DAC that will let me do optical and decode whatever the TV digital audio puts out so i can hook their TV up to a vintage receiver and existing speakers?

Fiio D3 DAC

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the recommendation. Add long as it works i can't see how it could be a bad deal @ $25.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Check the Samsung manual first to verify whether it'll send Dolby Digital/AC-3 from the digital output, or whether it'll send PCM stereo (or allow you to pick which you want).  If the former than the Fiio D3 will not work.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Check the Samsung manual first to verify whether it'll send Dolby Digital/AC-3 from the digital output, or whether it'll send PCM stereo (or allow you to pick which you want).  If the former than the Fiio D3 will not work.

I would thinking there is a good chance the Samsung HDTV only plays a 2-channel stereo sound, so would only output 2-channel out of the optical output.
Hopefully the OP will tell what us what model Samsung HDTV the grandparents have.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 6
I would thinking there is a good chance the Samsung HDTV only plays a 2-channel stereo sound, so would only output 2-channel out of the optical output.
Hopefully the OP will tell what us what model Samsung HDTV the grandparents have.

I checked on this before i ordered. The output format is selectable and does include PCM stream. I will update in a few days when the unit comes in on how/if everything works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back