Need a recommendation for the Best Closed Circumaural headphones for EDM/Trance/Electro/Dubstepper
May 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

milanocookie

New Head-Fier
Dear fellow head-fiers:

I need a new pair of headphones that are closed and full sized. I need the utmost clarity/SQ with a very good low end; punchy and full. You can consider me a basshead as well but I prefer clarity over exessive bass.

Genres I'll be listening to are EDM/Trance/Electro/Dubstep
Budget: +/- $1000 although doesn't have to get that high. Also excludes the price of an amp.

I'll be using them at home so portability is not an issue but have to be closed for the sake of my roommate.

So far based on what I've read in the forums the best closed headphones for these genres seem to be the ultrasones, but I'm not a fan of the sibilance in the pro900s and I have really sensitive ears and the signature DJ's don't seem like they give much bang for the buck. I'm just trying to get a consensus as to what is out there currently and get a general list going so I can find a way to demo the ones on my list and narrow it down to one. I won't be going with the Denon thousands or anything that's discontinued, I'm really finicky about second-hand.

Summary:
Closed
Best for EDM/Trance/Electro/Dubstep
Budget:+/- $1000
Not discontinued

Thanks!

May 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 20
Ultrasone Pro750 -seriously
Less bright as Pro900.

Alternatively, why don't you just pair the Pro900 with an Amp/DAC combo that is less bright - warmer sounding so the Pro900 will be singing perfectly for you?

Did you actually audition the Pro900? I didn't find them sibilant.

Cheers,
K

May 25, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 20
I'm going to make the same recommendation that I've made twice today already: Pro4AAT, with a good amp. Solid, clean, well-controlled, deep bass, smooth midrange, and good treble. Not the best soundstage, but that's true of pretty much any sealed headphone. I listen to a lot of electronic music myself, and it always handles it very well.

May 26, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 20
Pro 900 is way too sibilant for me :frowning2: Really piercing treble
Bass is strong and enjoyable though (bit loose at times)

Ultrasone Signature Pro/DJ 
Fostex TH600
V-Moda M100

Just some options
btw I haven't heard any of these models, just going on general opinion

May 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Pro 900 is way too sibilant for me :frowning2: Really piercing treble
Bass is strong and enjoyable though (bit loose at times)

Ultrasone Signature Pro/DJ 
Fostex TH600
V-Moda M100

Just some options
btw I haven't heard any of these models, just going on general opinion

Maybe the PL/Pro 650 can be a balanced alternative to the Pro-900. As well you have the Kees' mod for the 900s

May 26, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 20
get the pro900 and a tube amp.... 
and if u must, do a leatherpad mod on the spare velor pads that comes with the box.
then u get into EDM heaven/hell.

evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 20
Thanks everyone for the replies! I went ahead and got the pro 900s. I figured I might as well try them, now to find a good tube amp...

I think you made a good decision, as long as you can return them if you don't like them. They'll give you a good base line for communicating to others what you would rather if they are not a good fit for your listening tastes :)

May 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 20
Once again I'd like to thank everyone for your replies and help. Turns out they were a good fit for me. And the sibilance is surprisingly low/ non existent for me. Either my ears aren't as sensitive as I thought or I was just listening to really crappy headphones. Either way I love them, and sound great out of the box. Can't stop smiling every time the bass drops in a song. 
size]

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Milano

May 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 20
I got mine at $300 off of amazon, which i think is a pretty good deal for these, so if you're still interested keep an eye out when amazon starts to go low on stock, I think that's usually when they start putting stuff on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back