Need a new winter jacket.
Oct 17, 2006 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in need of a new winter jacket, and I'm looking at these 3 way deals, liner and shell. I have a few from North Face and Columbia picked out, are there any other good brands I'm forgetting? I'm liking the Columbia over the North Face because the fleece liner zips into the shell, the North Face doesn't do that.

Any other suggestions? Budget is around $250, main use will be light rain and around town (lows around 30), with some Tahoe snow thrown in around January.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 42
Marmot and Helly Hansen make some nice jackets too, and prices vary...

If you were in Canada, I'd suggest Mountain Equipment Co-op stuff, but you're not...

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 42
I like Cabellas and L.L. Bean. They aren't the cheapest, but you always get good value.

I've had L.L. Bean parkas for years that look as good as new, and they always keep me warm.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Oh, wait. California winter. How about a nice windbreaker?

Heh, and some shorts. I do travel to colder climates from time to time.
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 42
I do still have my cabellas arctic parka, but I never needed it in 2 winters in fairbanks, so I'd guess I won't ever...

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 42
Another vote for Marmot.

Moountain Co-op is a great place (as posted above), I belive its only in Canada, but you may try http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp;jses...=1161056185133
and see if they ship to the States.

If I were you, I would buy one or two nice fleeces, and a shell jacket. That way, you have a big jacket, when you wear a fleece and the jacket, and a fleece on its own. Im never a fan of the budle jackets, because the fleece in those are not tight fitting

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff

If you were in Canada, I'd suggest Mountain Equipment Co-op stuff, but you're not...

I have a Helly Hanson jacket and LOVE it

i've had it for over 3 years, the thing still looks brand new, and has taken a beating

lots of storage, very comfortable overall awesome

i can't find the exact model i have, there is no identification on the inside of the jacket, but if you really want i can take a pic of it (i looked on their website and can't find it)

you wouldn't be dissapointed with a helly hansen

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff

I have to say, MEC really has gotten it right with outdoor gear. Not only is it indestructible....but it actually works like it's supposed to!

You aren't truly Canadian until you've stepped foot into a MEC
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
It figures, the one Helly Hansen I like is $475. I can't justify spending that much on a jacket.

i only spent 170 and mine has lasted 3 years, and still looks brand new

i agree, 475 is way to much to spend on a jacket

i did also buy my jacket in june from a store on clerance, so that is probably why i got mine so cheap

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 42
Ya, I once bought a jacket (Marmot) for 490 bucks. I used it about 5 times, and sold it to my brother for about 200 bucks lol.

It was orange, and a great jacket, but the fact that it was orange, wasn;t something to wear everyday, so it turned out, I used it way less then planned, which was almost everyday

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 42
North face seems to have a good name. I love my two jackets from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back