Need a new Phono Pre-Amp. Suggestions? $100-300
Jun 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LostChild1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Looking to upgrade from my TC-750LC which just doesn't have the proper output for my needs (1.8mV)

Anyway, it'd be setup as such:

Technics SL1200-MKII > Pre-amp > WooAudio 6 > HD650s

What would you guys suggest for this kind of setup? My cash is a bit strapped right now, so I'm looking more for between 100-300 dollar range. Preferably on the lower end, but if it makes a significant difference, I can save up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 15
I would give the NAD pp3 a try in that price range. It comes with a USB port so its useful. It also sounds wonderful.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 15
I say DIY and make your own.

....really though, I just wanted to chime in because of your ridiculous avatar. I can't help but laugh at it.

Sorry to derail, continue.

~Thomas

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 15
Look for a Conrad-Johnson preamp. I picked up a PV2 a couple of years back for $300. It's a nice little unit with a vacuum tube phono stage. One of the benefits is that it has two tape loops out. You can connect a headphone amp to each and use the preamp to control your sources, as well as switch between headphone amps and even a pair of speakers.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 15
See if you can find a used Audible Illusions Modulus 3. If you can get one of these on the cheap ($300-ish or a 3A for more $$) you will get and *excellent* phono section, not to mention a killer pre-amp. Both have beefy outboard power supplies. The 3 is do-able in your price range (if you have sharp eyes and are patient) due only to its age. Very uncolored and transparent sound -- you can tweak with mil-spec or NOS...6922 6DJ8, ECC88, E88CC, etc.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cambridge Audio Azur 640p. IMO it's better than anything up to twice its price.

I've been thinking of getting this as the receiver I am using with my TT completely destroys the soundstage. Good to see someone here say they like it.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 15
During a time of cash-impairment, I used a Dynaco PAS for my phono pre, and replaced it when I later found a battered but terrific sounding PS-Audio stand alone phono pre for like $40 that I should have held on to.

Hey, if you can find like a yamaha or denon integrated from the 80s you're also in good shape. So many choices. . .

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 15
If you are open to DIY check out the Hagerman bugle(http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html). It has gotten great reviews vs a number of other phono preamps. I have one in the process, and the kit is very easy to build. There are complete amp+Power supply kits here: Unbuilt Hagerman Bugle Phono Preamp + Power Supply - eBay (item 190316675248 end time Jul-03-09 15:51:36 PDT)
for a very good price. (not affiliated, but I think I bought from him, and he provided very good service)
(you would have to case it up.. )

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 15
The phono box II, 640p, Hagerman bugle, and phono box SE II are all excellent. The Bugle is the best value of these if all you want to do is run moving magnet cartridges and if you are going to seriously get into moving coil cartridges, the project phono box SE II is really the best way to go.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Any more suggestions? I'm currently leaning toward the Cambridge Audio 640P as it's gotten pretty rave reviews, but a lot of what I'm hearing too is that it's still a "Starter" phono preamp. And I think I'm looking a little farther than that...

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by texashorn91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a must read review for you.

Thanks for the link!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think that just sealed the deal for me, and I'll be picking up the Cambridge Audio 640P in the coming weeks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back