Need a new pair of IEMs. $70 or less
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alexdude1085

New Head-Fier
My current IEMs are the CCA C12s and I think they're great but the left one broke so it's time for an upgrade.

The only two things I care about are sound quality and isolation. I want to hear a lot of detail. Sound signature isn't a big deal for me. I just want to be able to hear every note of every instrument as clearly as possible.

I will mostly be using them at home but I will use them on road trips so I will need isolation. Most listening will take place on my Samsung Galaxy A71 5G smartphone.

I mainly listen to thrash and death metal but I also listen to classic rock. I listen to a lot of albums with very good production so I want to get the most out of the music possible.

What IEMs $70 or under will give me the most detail in music possible?

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 7
My current IEMs are the CCA C12s and I think they're great but the left one broke so it's time for an upgrade.

The only two things I care about are sound quality and isolation. I want to hear a lot of detail. Sound signature isn't a big deal for me. I just want to be able to hear every note of every instrument as clearly as possible.

I will mostly be using them at home but I will use them on road trips so I will need isolation. Most listening will take place on my Samsung Galaxy A71 5G smartphone.

I mainly listen to thrash and death metal but I also listen to classic rock. I listen to a lot of albums with very good production so I want to get the most out of the music possible.

There's not many budget universal CHIFI IEMs that have good isolation per se. Bit maybe u can read about these sets:

DUNU DM480, it has excellent isolation as it is not vented (dual DD set). V shaped set, not the best timbre but has quite good technicalities and also has superb subass. I don't listen to metal but my metalhead friends like it as the bass is quite accurate and fast. Midlovers and timbre lovers won't like it, but for genres that don't involve too much vocals or acoustic instruments I think it does a good job for the price.

If u can add a bit to your budget, do consider the TRI Starsea, it has 4 tuning signatures so quite versatile (can be V shaped to U shaped to neutralish), excellent technicalities and isolation. Quite source picky due to the low 9ish ohms impedance, so fairs better with sources that have as low output impedance as possible. Very good comfort, excellent build due to the resin shells being like semi customs. Quite "reference" like and will make a good stage monitor due to the great technicalities and good isolation.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 7
There's not many budget universal CHIFI IEMs that have good isolation per se. Bit maybe u can read about these sets:

DUNU DM480, it has excellent isolation as it is not vented (dual DD set). V shaped set, not the best timbre but has quite good technicalities and also has superb subass. I don't listen to metal but my metalhead friends like it as the bass is quite accurate and fast. Midlovers and timbre lovers won't like it, but for genres that don't involve too much vocals or acoustic instruments I think it does a good job for the price.

If u can add a bit to your budget, do consider the TRI Starsea, it has 4 tuning signatures so quite versatile (can be V shaped to U shaped to neutralish), excellent technicalities and isolation. Quite source picky due to the low 9ish ohms impedance, so fairs better with sources that have as low output impedance as possible. Very good comfort, excellent build due to the resin shells being like semi customs. Quite "reference" like and will make a good stage monitor due to the great technicalities and good isolation.
Thank you so much!! Definitely will be looking into these

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 7

$70 is a tough cut-off if you want maximum isolation. My recommendation would be to save up a little longer, then get either the Etymotic ER2XR (dynamic driver) or ER3XR (BA driver) for around $100 when on sale on Amazon. The ER2 has more sub bass and treble, the ER3 is a hair more detailed and is warmer sounding. You would need to get used to deep insertion with multiflange tips, for maximum isolation, but there are other ear tip options, but with less isolation.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Extended-Respone-Earphones/dp/B07NSL5XS5 - it has been lower priced at times, at $100.
https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ER3XR-Extended-Response-Earphones/dp/B076652HPH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back