Need a low latency wireless headphone
Sep 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 50
I play the electric guitar with wired headphones coming out of a large -guitar- amplificator every now and then and i just need to pass the cable behind the guitar to avoid that kind of problem.

Maybe you just need a longer cable rather than a (much more expensive and less useful) pair of wireless headphones. I'd say just get an extension.

About the tangles with your guitar cord, well unless your cables have life of their own I don't see how that might be a problem if you keep them separated or appropiatelly organised. There are also lots of "cable tidiers" to deal with that stuff.

A possible solution might be that you bought an extension cable for the headphones, joined it to your guitar cord through a cable organizer or whatever means you prefer, and then just plug your headphones to that extension cable, passing the headphone cables behind the guitar. Unless you are jumping like a maniac around the room, you shouldn't have any problems.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 50
Great ,I hope you can post your findings. Most of the wireless headset with real low latency suitable for guitar and musical instrument amplifiers are non blue tooth type. 

Blue tooth Headset with low latency performance is almost non existing . I can see the problem and the people trying hard to sell them(if they do exist) is in the transmitter itself. 
How many people would want to buy a low latency BT headset and have to buy also the low latency BT transmitter and have to pay for both APTX and Low latency license fee. (THE LICENCE ARE NON FREE)

If i need low latency performance i might as well buy a non BT low latency wireless headset which is cheaper since such headphone need no extra licence fee.
Does that make sense?

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 50
32 ms is not low latency. Anything past 10ms will drive a musician bat **** crazy.

I just bought the senn 180's for this exact purpose (composer tired of the cable getting in the way) and I love my senn 600's.
Unusable. Sound fine. A bit of a bass boost. but the latency is for ****.

Going to have to investigate a pro wireless system. 
bummed.
Always check headfi first !!!!!  

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 50
  32 ms is not low latency. Anything past 10ms will drive a musician bat **** crazy.

I just bought the senn 180's for this exact purpose (composer tired of the cable getting in the way) and I love my senn 600's.
Unusable. Sound fine. A bit of a bass boost. but the latency is for ****.

Going to have to investigate a pro wireless system. 
bummed.
Always check headfi first !!!!!  

Sorry to disagree. I am both an engineer and a musician. Latency above 50mS will be noticeable. Tested 40 mS type wireless pickup on electric guitar systems not very noticeable ...barely.  ...but 32 mS or less better. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #20 of 50
Babylon5 -  are we talking about the same thing?  
I've never run into any situation where latency was that high. I'm assuming we are referencing drastically different situations.

The application I was referring to in my post was studio/composing with a daw type work.

Pro Tools HDX latency is .7ms - yes with a decimal point in front. (@96k which most all sessions are these days)
My composing daw with full VI orchestral template runs at 128 samples = 2.9ms 
Under heavy loads at worst I'm at 256 samples = 6ms (and its a noticeable  difference)

So trying to work on wireless headphones that add 35ms is unusable.

I think we are talking about very different applications for wireless headphones but I can't imagine living with 40ms delay on any live gig either.

Most all the sessions I play use an aviom setup and it runs at .880ms (again, decimal point in front), and even that is a bit phasey at times but we've learned to live with it.

Not trying to be confrontational at all - I've just never run into anything like 40ms - ever

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #21 of 50
I am sorry if I make you feel confrontation but is not my intention.
I think our perception of low latency may differ. How I measure low latency is I compare 
the sound  reproduce from a wired speaker(reference time)  verses a wireless blue tooth speaker using a microphone as the pickup.
Setting a digital  oscilloscope I capture the sound wave pattern of the wires speaker and the wireless speaker simultaneously and use the scope to measured the latencies. Final test is to hear the ping sounds( 1second burst at intervals) sound coming out from both speakers . If the latency is obvious one can hear the reproduce sounded (when both direct wire and wireless speaker) echoic. 
Noticeable  echoic occur around 50mS  or longer. 
The normal blue tooth latency without the LL algorithm is around 150 to 200ms , the echo or latency  is very obvious.

There maybe other equipment that artificially reproduce control audio latency known as artificial delay line but I don't have them. This will help to calibrate our ear to hear what is minimum tolerable latencies.

I just try to be as scientific and objective as possible and not intended any confrontation.

There maybe other method of measuring latency scientifically but I am limited by the equipment I have.

Cheers.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #22 of 50
I tried two different Sennheiser sets, a few other brands too. The problem is the Bluetooth signal most of these headsets utilize. When listening to music even a 2 second delay is ok since you wont hear it, ever, except between the time you press the play button and when you hear the music start or track change.

I know of a solution but it's not cheap. However, the sound quality can easily be better than many headsets :

Audio Technica M3M

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 50
ok just got the Senn RS 180, wanting to improve on the RS 140's excentric compression behaviour
sounds good but latency unmanageable for live playing/monitoring
the 140 looks better and better the more I look around

May 31, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #24 of 50
I got a pair of 4.1 Headphones and a Nolan TRXPlus Bluetooth Wireless Transmitter and Receiver and it still had delay. Going to just wait and save for a Shure set up at this point. Also anybody know about the Galaxy AS-900 In Ear Monitor System. I know its probably not worth wasting the $200 on but maybe it still works just not as good of sound quality but at least no latency it would work for the time being instead of waiting to spend almost a grand on a Shure. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 50

Sorry to disagree. I am both an engineer and a musician. Latency above 50mS will be noticeable. Tested 40 mS type wireless pickup on electric guitar systems not very noticeable ...barely.  ...but 32 mS or less better. 

That is so wrong; as a bebop player and engineer I can tell you for sure 5ms is where latency starts to be unnoticable.  Even 10ms is awful when playing over 350bpm.

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #28 of 50
Had the same issue to solve. Latest Sennheiser options (e.g. RS 175) are great in terms of audio quality, but up to 45 ms latency indeed seems unacceptable for monitoring a musical instrument. After lots of googling found a very unexpected solution: there are a number of so called "gaming" wireless headphones on the market. And apparently gamers face the same issues as musicians do: they need immediate feedback. Bought SleelSeries Siberia 800 in the end. They claim < 16 ms latency, which seems to be precise. At least I am able to play electric guitar with no issues. The audio quality most probably is not as good as Sennheiser, but it is still much better than my previous Sony analog wireless headphones.

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #29 of 50
Hi easytomemorise....agree lowest latency is essential for musical instrument.
For wireless lower latencies means you either sacrifies range between the sender and receiver or fidelity(reduce bandwidth). Once the digital wireless systems latencies drops below 30mS , something got to give up. In your case looks like the fidelity is sacrificed for lower latency.

The blue tooth low latency is still not good enough for musical instruments. Problem with bluetooth is stability and even with 40mS latencies is not good enough. I had been experimenting with low latency APtx for musical instrument but not sucessful. That is why there is no sucessfull BT wireless for Musical pick up to date.

Most of todate wireless low latency are analog FM stuff but they have poor fidelity and signal to noise ratio.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #30 of 50
Wanted to add to this although it's a bit late.
I tried the latest aptx LL format headphones and transmitter claimed as best Bluetooth out there and although perfect for lip sync watching video it still is too slow for live guitar playing.
RF wireless are still the only option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back