Need a good pair of Closed Back headphones and a DAC/AMp to pair them with
Jan 14, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #46 of 70
I actually like headphones that are tightly clamped, as far as cmy list of choices go I'm down to these:

Sennheiser HD380, HD250, HD630VB,

Audeze SINE,

Meze 99 Classics,

Shure SRH1540,

and

Denon AH-D2000

Now to be perfectly honest considering I'm getting into the whole audiophile/ HI -FI thing there's a good chance that I'll end up buying all of these just so I can compare them to each other. That brings me to my next dilemma AMP/DAC I know I don;t really need them but I want one just to have it
so.

SS vs. OTL which should I choose? How are they different from each other in terms of sound and what are the pros and cons of each?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #47 of 70
@d34dj3d1 @monsterzero , I went back and edited some of my posts from earlier with regards to the HD250.

I was reading the measurement graphs incorrectly. They have less distortion than what I claimed. The imperfections I was talking about, I am no longer so 'sure of'.

Still, the other headphones in that list are all great.

With respect to what you are looking for in a closed headphone, I probably would check out the HD380. Even if you choose to get more headphones, amp and dac at a later date, the HD380 will still be useful in its ability to isolate and you may find it holds its own even against more expensive options. It is also relatively inexpensive, and allows you to get your feet wet without a big expense.

I personally, would recommend a solid-state amp for all of those headphones you listed. Here is a primer http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/gain-and-headphone-ampsdacs.html

I've listened to DACs in the $16-200 range and dacs into the $2000+ range. IMO, it isn't worth it. Spending money on the transducer / headphone is far more important.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #49 of 70
So would the HD 380s along with a Magni 3 be a good combo?

Magni 3 may not be necessary. Those headphones will go loud enough. The HD380 is rated at 54ohm and at 110dB sensitivity, meaning that it would be powered right out of your computers current headphone jack. Asus usually puts together pretty good components. Your ROG Strix internal dac/amp has some good features , among them:

- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs

If you just get the Magni, you'll need to get an adapter to go from the 1/8" stereo out on your ASUS (which is already amped) and into the Magni. Not really ideal. it will work, but may need to lower the volume on your PC.

You can get a dac/amp combo like this https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/ or Meridian Explorer 2, or the Schiit Magni 3 + Modi stack.

just trying to save you some money.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #50 of 70
The Objective 2 is the first one I looked at actually, but if I don't really need it (at least with the 380's) then I can wait until I get another pair of cans that may need it.

The impedance sense that my MB has on it, what does that do exactly?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #51 of 70
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #54 of 70
By Transducer do you mean the AMP?

A transducer converts one type of energy into another. Headphones and speakers are transducers that convert electrical energy to mechanical energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transducer

I also agree that upgrading your electronics may not be worth it until you are using higher-end headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 70
I have an auction ending today for one of my Denon AH-D2000, it is the most pristine of my sets. My other pair is more broken in, comfy and sounds even better because of it (the new pair will sound the same once the pads are broken).
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/183022105055

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #59 of 70
Being 97 dB/mW really shouldn’t be too hard to drive but a amp is always good IMO .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back