Need a good pair of Closed Back headphones and a DAC/AMp to pair them with
Jan 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #16 of 70
FYI, the Audeze SINE has larger pads than many over-ear headphones. (Such as the Focal Spirit Professional.) Not sure why it's marketed as on-ear. The HD 250's pads look far smaller.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #17 of 70
Jan 13, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #18 of 70
As well as an amp. Especially if its the 600ohm version.

The 300ohm version isnt much easier to drive...

Another Head-Fi member bought a pair from that seller and other than the pads(they were disintegrating) was beyond happy with the results,which he shared recently on Reddit.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #19 of 70
FYI, the Audeze SINE has larger pads than many over-ear headphones. (Such as the Focal Spirit Professional.) Not sure why it's marketed as on-ear. The HD 250's pads look far smaller.

That's good to know. I was worried the Sine would be a bit small. HD250 pads are large and comparable to the D2000. I believe they can fit ZMF Ori pads.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #21 of 70
As well as an amp. Especially if its the 600ohm version.

Yea it is the 600ohm, as far as a DAC/AMP goes I was going to get a Schiit stack. That brings me to another question. I'm going to be using these headphones on a PC that I'm hoping to use as a HI-FI system the problem is I don't know if my Motherboard had a good enough audio chip to do that.

I have a ASUS ROG Strix Z270E and according to the ASUS site it has pretty good on board sound so will I need a Sound card or will the DAC/AMP along with a good set of headphones and speakers be sufficient ?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 70
Yea it is the 600ohm, as far as a DAC/AMP goes I was going to get a Schiit stack

I know that "The Schiit stack" has pretty much become the default go to option for folks just getting into this hobby,but I highly recommend a tube amp for the HD250.As I mentioned back on page one of this thread the Darkvoice 336 should work pretty well. I have SS amps and while the HD250 doesnt sound bad from them,they really come alive via the OTL treatment.You could still go ahead and grab the Mimby for a DAC,but I'd strongly suggest skipping the Magni 3 for this particular headphone.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #23 of 70
Something a little different - check out Sony MDR-1000x mk2 (updated model). It works both wired and wireless. If you have an AAC or Apt-X (HD) capable source you may not need a DAC/amp. Lasts about 30 hours per charge. Sound is fairly neutral with a slight emphasis in bass and treble. If you use your smartphone or tablet as source, Sony has an app that can EQ the headphones directly too so you have exactly what you want.

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #24 of 70
I know that "The Schiit stack" has pretty much become the default go to option for folks just getting into this hobby,but I highly recommend a tube amp for the HD250.As I mentioned back on page one of this thread the Darkvoice 336 should work pretty well. I have SS amps and while the HD250 doesnt sound bad from them,they really come alive via the OTL treatment.You could still go ahead and grab the Mimby for a DAC,but I'd strongly suggest skipping the Magni 3 for this particular headphone.

I can't find a mimby for sale anywhere except the schiit European website, who else makes really good DAC's for under $400 and do I even really need one?

I'm completely new to all of this stuff so I'm going to be asking alot of questions. I'm very interested in tube amps but I don't know anything about them, how are they different then other amps (other then the obvious reasons of course). Are they good to use with all headphones or just certain kinds?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #25 of 70
@monsterzero you are right, this is really one of the few headphones that I've heard that come alive incredibly with the right amps. They still sound incredible out of my O2/ODAC though, and I don't feel lacking at all.

Edit: I was reading the graphs improperly, the HD250 has less distortion than I wrote below.

So @d34dj3d1, in my opinion, few open headphones have sounded as correct as the HD250 (I prefer these over the open back HD650 but those are also very good). They sound more correct than my Audeze LCD2.

It is hard to be honest :wink: and if I am them, HD250s are among the best headphone I've heard ever. Yes, they have sonic imperfections, but their frequency balance is where it matters most. I'm listening to the new Tangerine Dream album and they sound great, as they would with Youth (dub artist / also of Killing Joke), then to psychedelic rock, and any electronic. I feel like I'm in the room.

These headphones are a deep listen. But they absolutely will need an additional amp at minimum an Objective 2 (O2) or similar.

So with all that said, I'll still recommend the HD630VB. Especially, if you can find it used. This is incredibly well-engineered headphone, and technically is better than the HD250. It is stunning what can be pulled from these headphones. So overall clarity of the HD630VB is just ahead. And the bass with 630VB matches and surpasses the HD250. Really, either of them would be great. The HD250 for strict natural tonality, (the HD630VB is very close in this regard though). The 630VB sounds almost 'bell-like' in its clarity, that if you were inside of a large bell and someone struck the outside this is what you'd hear - all the resonances and nuances.

The 630VB you won't even need to get an additional amp/dac. The HD250 will be more comfortable - less clamp though still some, easily obtainable earpads (though seal is important). The 630VB practically gives my a bit of the HD250 on the go, anywhere I want to listen. That is the achievement.

Still, I won't lie - the HD250 are still .. damnit . Better. They are that headphone you can listen to for hours. The HD630VB is just as good in its own way but the 250 have that rare magic. Ultimately, would recommend both. :wink: Quite torn between them, but the 630VB is very good, but just a bit sharper (so that may or may not appeal).

I feel this sites' measurements are accurate.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd250-linear-ii/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd630vb/

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #26 of 70
Yea it is the 600ohm, as far as a DAC/AMP goes I was going to get a Schiit stack. That brings me to another question. I'm going to be using these headphones on a PC that I'm hoping to use as a HI-FI system the problem is I don't know if my Motherboard had a good enough audio chip to do that.

I have a ASUS ROG Strix Z270E and according to the ASUS site it has pretty good on board sound so will I need a Sound card or will the DAC/AMP along with a good set of headphones and speakers be sufficient ?

The DAC would bypass your onboard sound. Most audiophile-oriented DACs will outperform most sound cards.

Whether you hear an improvement with a DAC depends on how good your computer's onboard DAC is, among other things.

In my experience, there isn't much difference between DACs that cost under $200. If you don't want to spend more than that on a DAC, I'd recommend just starting with something really cheap like the $30 Behringer UCA202 audio interface.

I can't find a mimby for sale anywhere except the schiit European website

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-2

Next to Version, select Modi Multibit.

You can also find it on the used market from time to time.

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Modi+Multibit
https://devbrada.com/classifieds

who else makes really good DAC's for under $400 and do I even really need one?

The Modi Multibit is the best DAC I have owned in that range if you only count retail prices.

If you're willing to buy used, the Chord Mojo is by far my favorite for under $400. DAC, amp, preamp...it can do all sorts of things.

As I mentioned above, you don't need an external DAC per se, but you can definitely get better sound at a certain point.

Also—and this is the most important part—it's generally not a good value to spend hundreds on the electronics when you are only using closed-back headphones under $400. If you spent (what seems to be) your total budget of over $800 on, say, a STAX system, you would get vastly better sound.

Do you actually need closed-back? You mentioned the system would be at your own computer, so it seems likely that you could use open-backs instead.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #28 of 70
I can't find a mimby for sale anywhere except the schiit European website, who else makes really good DAC's for under $400 and do I even really need one?

I'm completely new to all of this stuff so I'm going to be asking alot of questions. I'm very interested in tube amps but I don't know anything about them, how are they different then other amps (other then the obvious reasons of course). Are they good to use with all headphones or just certain kinds?
Modi Multibit is in stock on the Schiit website.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 70
The 300ohm version isnt much easier to drive...

Another Head-Fi member bought a pair from that seller and other than the pads(they were disintegrating) was beyond happy with the results,which he shared recently on Reddit.

I’ve heard many good things about the HD 250 but I had never seen even a picture of one until I checked out the eBay link posted here and my first thought was, “bet that is one uncomfortable headphone” - cups and pads look too small to be over ear.

EDIT: I’m wrong, was an optical illusion due to the headband mechanism, saw more pics and size of pads reminds me of DT880 which I find very, very comfortable.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 70
@Malfunkt when you say the HD250's have sonic imperfections what exactly do you mean by that? Either way it doesn't as I'm more then likely going to get them anyway just because I'm extremely partial to Sennheiser products.

Currently I have a pair of HDR 120 wireless and they've never given me any problems other then them just not being loud enough for me.Well that and my dog chewed on the wire and now the left channel either gets dimmer or cuts out completely. That also bring me to yet another question Who makes the best Wireless/Bluetooth headphones? I was looking at the Sennheiser PXC 550's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back