Need a good digital camera, no more than $300!
Dec 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Nikon D40 worth the price?

Absolutely.

Just bought my Dad one for Christmas. Came very, very close to buying one earlier this year but found a place selling closeout NOS D70s for about $100 more, so I went with the D70s.

Extremely pleased with the D70s, as well.

Don't worry too much about the lenses. The kit lens is pretty good, and I added a 50mm prime and the 70-300mm telephoto. Might get a macro one of these days, but those cover 98% of what I want to shoot.

Not trying to upsell you, but I think DSLRs are worth the extra cost for the flexibility and better sensor.

And while I'm partial to Nikon, Canon also makes a good camera. I'm not familiar with their line, but I've seen them take great photos and know many happy users.

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 34
I got my wife the Canon A720 for Christmas.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #20 of 34
The Canon SD850 IS is pretty good with your requirements. Just picked one up at Best Buy from their Boxing Day sale, and been playing with it all day. Very impressed with it right now.

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 34
if you want the absolute best camera for that amount of money (not necessarily the one that best suits your needs)

i'd suggest the olympus c-8080

it can be had at about that price point on ebay used and sometimes new

its lens quality is untouchable by entry level dslr kit lenses

Dec 28, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 34
I would recommend checking out the Panasonic cameras at Vanns.com. The Panasonic cameras share the same technology as the Leica cameras. I have had one for several years now and even though it is older, the quality is as good or better than any cameras made today. Those Leica lenses are fantastic and give a wonderful image.

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 34
Go to the head-fi of camera sites,

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Check out the forums/ reviews/ camera database. I bought most of my cameras based on what I read there and then demo'ed those that I was interested in. Similar to what I use head-fi for in terms of portable audio.

You need to ask yourself-
a. Are you looking for a point and shoot for the best iq (image quality) possible?
b. Do you want manual control?
c. Do you plan to shoot a lot of night scenes?
d. Is portability/ small factor a must?
e. Do you plan to upgrade to a DSLR?

Hope this helps.

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #24 of 34
Shouldn't this thread be moved to Gear-Fi board?

Anywho, I recommend Canon A570 IS

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by erasmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want the absolute best camera for that amount of money (not necessarily the one that best suits your needs)

i'd suggest the olympus c-8080

it can be had at about that price point on ebay used and sometimes new

its lens quality is untouchable by entry level dslr kit lenses

Out of nowhere recommendation but yet so true. Back then when I was looking for my first DSLR, I was lusting for that C8080 but couldn't afford it. Now I got my Nikon gears, and I am still very attracted to it. Extremely solid body, weird looking camera with huge front element, takes great picture... really one of a kind that Olympus pulled out that time. They don't make them like that anymore.

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #26 of 34
I'm still really confused and I still really need a camera. Almost everybody on here has a different suggestion and each camera I've looked up reviews for all have apparent glaring faults pointed out in the reviews, but then again, these are things that would have likely gone unnoticed had I not read the reviews.

I am back to the original price requirements, $300 MAX including shipping. Not a cent more.

It will be for the family yes and yes I would like a point and shoot, but I am also looking to get an upper-decent quality camera if possible and the problem is everybody has their own suggestion
frown.gif

Please I need help, and the situation has become more urgent, like I need to order today so I've got to find something good!
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #27 of 34
Have you gone to places like Best Buy and tried any of our suggestions out? Sometimes you can't qualify a product until you hold it in your hands and play with it a bit. That might help. Look for how clear the LCD is, how it feels in your hands, how responsive the autofocus is in low light (which might be tough in a well lit store). Poke thru the menus to see how much you can customize it.

To be honest you probably wouldn't be disappointed in any of our suggestions, most of the latest cameras have benefited from "trickle down" technologies from the high end DSLR models (esp. Nikon, Canon).

If you need one that urgently, just go with your gut! They'll all take pictures!
wink.gif

Good luck!

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #28 of 34
My wife's Canon A720 has shown itself to be a great little camera. She really likes it.

Jan 2, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #29 of 34
Definitelly the Canon A series, I have owned a few fo them all have been well worth the money, now I still ahve the A560 that is pretty good...

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #30 of 34
Go Canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back