Need a clever idea to get a speaker
Apr 9, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pHEnomIC

100+ Head-Fier
In the frat house, we had some old speakers that apparently were up for grabs, one of my buddy threw like 10 of em in his room. All are mismatched and he doesnt care about anything but blasting them.

One of em happens to be a klipsch forte ii. I really wanted a set of these for a long time and I got the other one, it needs a driver replaced but it should be awesome to restore this and have an awesome 2 channel setup for back home.

I want the other forte, His logic is just terrible, he told me he'd give it to me a few times, and when i go to get it he changes his mind and goes beserk. If you want to know where I am coming from, he's the biggest bose fan around. He has enough speakers for his needs. The thing doesnt even work/not plugged in, its basically in his room for looks. The speakers sabotaged and the internal wiring is gone (hehe).

If i just go in and jack it he is gonna know its me and whine that i took the house speakers and im gonna have to give it back.

Im willing to pay money for it too, he always says im not gonna take your money ill just give it to you if i do.

So basically I just have to convince him to willingly give it to me. Any ideas, social engineering or whatever?

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 22
We frown on people asking for unethical advices around here. Atleast I don't think you should consider stealing. Be honest and just offer a reasonable amount of money of whatever the speaker cost and see if he's willing to sell it. It's probably not worth it anyway if the speaker is incomplete. Klipsche are overated almost like Bose imo.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 22
But perhaps Klipsche would restore it for him at a decent price, like Grado does for us crazy DIY addicts who accidentally kill the driver. Or, like he said, it would make a great DIY refab project.

Leave it alone for a while. Maybe offer him something else? I bet you could find some older Bose speakers for cheap and then offer a trade.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 22
buy some cheap(well...knowing the co., might be impossible) bose earbuds/whatever, and trade him for it. be like "hey, i won some bose stuff online, but i have no need for it, and i remember you are a fan of the company, and i remember sme busted speakers you have that i've been eyeballin. ya feel me?"

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 22
Trade him for a Triport. But don't come right out about it.

Buy the Triport and make a display of listening to them around the house. Assuming you can stomach that. Repeatedly tell him how awesome the Triports are. Then offer a listen. Maybe leave the Triports with him for a day or something. When he starts talking about how awesome they are, then you propose a trade.

You could try this with other stuff, too. Keep an eye on what he likes and ge something that will impress him. When he shows interest, propose a trade. Just don't come out like you're begging, you have to make it seem almost like it's his idea.

Slightly underhanded, but it'll meet ethical snuff and could result in both of you being happy.

Oh, you might want to nose around for old Bose 501 or 901 speakers that need to be refoamed. You can DIY that cheap, and he might bite on a pair of those. Maybe you could even trade for the Klipsch and cash.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 22
Apr 10, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 22
The goal here is just to convince him that he has enough speakers and doesn't need that one. I think eventually he will just give it to me, but hes just stubborn and the fact that he already told me he would give it to me and got my hopes up pissed me off.

Btw, that speaker just needs the internal wires reconnected.

You honestly think i can get a better 2 channel setup for under 200$ than some klipsch forte's? These things get insanely loud and stay clear very easily.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 22
He is probably just doing it to exert power over you. He knows you want the speaker and he enjoys lording it over you. I would say just back off for a while and be patient. Wait till the end of the semester and then ask him if he still wants it when everyone is moving stuff around and packing to leave for the summer.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is probably just doing it to exert power over you. He knows you want the speaker and he enjoys lording it over you. I would say just back off for a while and be patient. Wait till the end of the semester and then ask him if he still wants it when everyone is moving stuff around and packing to leave for the summer.

X2

and he'll probably say yes, especially if he's out of state, heavy crap is a pain to move long distances, especially in a personal vehicle (I don't care if you have an F-350, its still a pain)

also, its "Klipsch", and whats wrong with them? (oh wait, forgot, we're "serious audiophiles", so nothing thats ever had marketing applied to it is worth our time, because its obviously produced by an "unethical" and "irresponsible" company that "tries to scam users with skewed tonal presentation and illegal marketing tactics", to quote PWK: ********.)

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 22
I think some of you don't have a clue when you start mentioning these speakers in the same sentence with Bose. Klipsch may not be that great now, but back in the day when they were made in Hope, Arkansas, they were pretty damn good speakers. Some of their older stuff such as the Fortes, Cornwalls, Herseys, or Lascallas are many levels above Bose. Try doing some research before you trash them. I have seen a pair Fortes go for 400 and up on other forums.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some of you don't have a clue when you start mentioning these speakers in the same sentence with Bose. Klipsch may not be that great now, but back in the day when they were made in Hope, Arkansas, they were pretty damn good speakers. Some of their older stuff such as the Fortes, Cornwalls, Herseys, or Lascallas are many levels above Bose. Try doing some research before you trash them. I have seen a pair Fortes go for 400 and up on other forums.

most Klipsch products are still made in the US afaik, and plenty of modern Klipsch products are quite good for the money (hell, ALL of them are, but of course we'll soon see the "yeah but they sound like ass compared to my [something a lot more expensive]" comparisons, because we all know that when you design a speaker intended to sell at $100/pair, if you're going to market it, it has to be better than speakers selling at $100,000/pair, or you're unethical and should be killed in a religious ceremony)

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 22
For the doubters, the classic Klipsch speakers are still quite good. I went in a different direction, but came very close to buying Klipschhorns or the La Scala II. If you don't believe me, Google some reviews. They're highly regarded by many audiophiles. Don't judge them by their computer and home theater speakers.

Another (slightly less ethical) way is to get the guy's best friend or girlfriend alone some time. Tell him or her that there's $50 or $100 in it for them if they can convince the guy to give/sell you the speaker. His girlfriend can be a lot more persuasive than you will be.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 22
In my opinion once he found out that you wanted the speaker you were screwed.
Pretend like you don’t care if he gives it to you and you will see him change his mind.
BTW, I love my Klipsch Forte II’s.

dscn0491df7.jpg

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 22
Trade it for some BOSE headphones...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back