Need 2.0 Computer speakers with small size? $50-150 range....
Apr 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

atwnsw

New Head-Fier
I have a small space customer built desk and I am looking for 2 computer speakers (no subwoofer) with decent sound in the $50-100 price range.

What can you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 62
AV-40 are definitely NOT small. Your best bet is the Audioengine A2 using the coupon code MW09.

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 62
Think Outside BoomTube... in compact form its like a slightly overlong yet thin thermos. I've had one for quite some time. After putting my huge ass stereo in storage for a while, it was my only sound system for ~2 years. I only just recently purchased some RC-10's as replacements, but the BoomTube gets used whenever I travel. I've purchased another BoomTube as a gift for a friend; its a great system.

The no subwoofer thing might axe it for you. I had the subwoofer on my desk when I used it, again, its not very big, but it is real-estate.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 62
Thanks for your feedback.

AV-40 are too big for my space.

The Audioengine A2 might barely fit but the volume control is on the back of the speaker. I am planning on mounting them so I wonder if that might be a problem. Is this a concern?

I don't have room for the boomtube speaker/subwoofer.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 62
Buy a pair of Minimus 7s from Ebay and pair them with a cheap amp or receiver.
You'll save money, get better sound and have a versatile amp.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a pair of Minimus 7s from Ebay and pair them with a cheap amp or receiver.
You'll save money, get better sound and have a versatile amp.

I am also looking for similar solution for my desktop, can you name a cheap amp and is there any other cheap decent speakers like minimus which i can get brand new from ebay.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 62
The Minimus 7 speakers are no longer sold new but they sold by the hundreds of thousands and there are always a half dozen pairs on Ebay.
Be sure to buy the ones made in Japan and not any other place like Malaysia etc as the Japanese versions are usually equipped with the Fostex mid-woofer which is what makes these speakers special.
I have used them with all sorts of receivers and amplifiers with great results as a nearfield desktop speaker. It really comes down to budget and size. Find a small Aiwa 22 series amp or receiver for size or a JBL Power 20 or 50 or...the possibilities are endless.

Put them on a stand of some sort to bring them up to ear height or if your desktop is against a wall, find some Minimus 7s with the wall mount brackets.
Those little speakers are amazing for their size and image like crazy. The Fostex drivers are really punchy and fast.

Crazy bang for the buck. They should be everyone's first stop for desktop speakers.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 62
So, thanks to everybody's input, I think that I have narrowed the field:

1) I like the A2 for $149 as the size is perfect but am concerned that because of the volume on the back of the speaker, it will be a pain to use. I would mount them on the back of my desk and have the volume up. This way I would use the computer to adjust the volume/mute on the speakers. The downside is that I am using the computer to control and they would always be on. Is this a legit concern?

2) Minimus 7 sound interesting as I like the size as well but know nothing about buying a powered amp. Would I be better off running these speakers off the computer with a audio card? Does this exist? Is it either possible or stupid? If not, can you point me to a small inexpensive amp that could be discretely kept in a drawer? I just don't have much space.

Please share your input or shoot down my current thought process.....

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 62
atwnsw;5623812 2) Minimus 7 sound interesting as I like the size as well but know nothing about buying a powered amp. Would I be better off running these speakers off the computer with a audio card? Does this exist? Is it either possible or stupid? If not said:
Any amp with around 40w or so will do. You can use a more powerful amp just be sure not to crank them too loud or you'll blow them.
You're better off to troll Ebay for something simple, in your price range.
There's literally tons to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back