National Audio Show UK 2015 - impressions and pics
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 36
40 years of meditative contemplation plus strategically placed weights is all that it takes to develop one.

I knew you were a cut above the rest! I may have Golden Ears but I WANT an audio proboscis....Where do I sign and how long will it take to arrive?

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #21 of 36

Thanks Raika, the girls really enjoyed it, and were very good about turning the volume down before inserting headphones etc. I think I have a couple of budding audiophiles there
L3000.gif

It's really hard to compare Yggy/Rag with the Dave as I didn't hear them side by side.  However, I can say that the Dave had a level of clarity that I think was unmatched with anything else I heard on the day. It sounded like one of those amps that have absolute blackness between the notes, very very technically proficient and also I found it very engaging with the HE1000 (not many amps did this). I'd classify the sound as very "audiophile", if you know what I mean. Whether this would translate into a natural sound, I'm not sure, and would need more time with it to figure out. I bet the Dave is super revealing though.

The Yggy/Rag sounded great too, it's a combination I really enjoy. Honestly, it didn't blow me away like the Dave did, but part of that could have been visual bias and knowing the Dave was £8k - I do believe there is often more than just our ears doing the listening at times like this! If I had to describe this combo, I'd say Yggy/Rag was indeed a natural sound - I think the Yggy is mainly responsible here and I also noticed this "natural" quality when I listened to it at Canjam. Soundstage on the Yggy/Rag was a small step up from the Gungnir MB/Mjolnir2 combo.  I only know this as I was instantly A/B'ing them with the same source feed.  I can't compare with the Dave as I heard them some time apart, but I certainly didn't feel either suffered on this score.

These two systems were right up there with the best headphone rigs I've ever heard, so we're definitely into splitting hairs I think!  I do feel the Schiit gear is superb value for what you get, though if I were in the market for something at this price, I'd definitely be getting a home demo.  Have a chat to Mark @ElectroMod as he offers extended home demos on the Schiit gear. When I have enough to consider an Yggy I'll be taking him up on it. Enjoy the process, it's a great priviledge to be able to consider wonderful gear like this
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi matey.  I didn't see an EF6 at the show.  You're right though, it sounded great with the HE1000 at Canjam. Andy's going to be bringing some very tasty stuff to our mini meet that should in theory smoke the EF6
beerchug.gif

Thank you very much for your very helpful comments .

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #22 of 36
'' natural ''. for me No dacs ever sound so natural like a real life, the turntable always prevail in this regard . I can say the msb was close  but still not enough to call it natural sound .

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #23 of 36
  '' natural ''. for me No dacs ever sound so natural like a real life, the turntable always prevail in this regard . I can say the msb was close  but still not enough to call it natural sound .

I understand what you mean, but I do think this new generation of R2R DAC from Schiit sounds more natural than other digital sources I've heard. I doubt anything with ever replace a nice vinyl or tape rig for ultimate natural sound though.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #24 of 36
from you memory how you can describe the sound of Trilogy 933 ? I heard it's of the best headphones amp regardless of the price .I want to order on for my he 1000

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #25 of 36
Well I hadn't heard of Trilogy before the show, and I figured it was probably a low/mid tier amp just based on looks/size alone (and there was no price advertised on the 933). I had a go with my HE1000 anyway and figured I might be onto a bargain here because this sounds great!!  I don't recall specifics, but it was one of the few amps that injected an extra level of clarity and dynamics into the HE1000.  Of course, then I looked around at the price list and it was well over £2000.  Not surprising.  So much for a "bargain". Although, considering I think it's cheaper than the other amps that I really enjoyed at the show, perhaps it is a bargain
biggrin.gif

It was running pretty hot (Class A obviously), depending if that bothers you or not.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #26 of 36

Cutest Head-Fi pic ever!!  
o2smile.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #28 of 36

I understand what you mean, but I do think this new generation of R2R DAC from Schiit sounds more natural than other digital sources I've heard. I doubt anything with ever replace a nice vinyl or tape rig for ultimate natural sound though.

This is my opinion and I do not mind if anybody disagrees. For me with Yggy in my system the equation of enjoyment looks like as follows.

Yggy + Comfort of managing digital contents are far greater than a vinyl setup.

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 36
@pedalhead, curious how you thought the raggy+yggy combo compared to the mha-100 for the he-1k? also if you noticed any sonic tuning differences between those two set-ups. thanks!

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #30 of 36

My Metrum Pavane has a really natural vinyl feel to it. At least to me it competes with a nitty gritty 1.0, 20x2H, sp25, fr-54, pellar. This dac just grows on me more and more everyday. Still have an dropout every once in a while but it is down to once every few hours.

Was starting to think the Pavane had more to do with making the hd800's sound amazing more than the Teton. Dialed in the tubes though for the Teton and it kind of took back the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back