National Audio Show UK 2015 - impressions and pics
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2015 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
I popped over to the National Audio Show at Whittlebury Hall today & frankly the line-up for headphone geeks was second only to CanJam.  Not surprising really considering the Headzone area was sponsored by http://www.highendheadphones.co.uk who brought virtually an A-Z of the best headphones and amps on the market.

I brought along my two youngsters (budding audio geeks) and they had a surprising amount of fun trying out various goodies (Disclaimer - no little ears were damaged in the course of this headphone geekery
wink.gif
). Other than just enjoying the gear on show, my main mission today was to try my new HE-1000s on a variety of amps.  I feel the HE-1000 could do with an injection of pace & dynamics that I feel isn't achievable with all amps. Check out the pics & comments for some good finds on that topic....

The main Headzone area. Busy, but not so much that we had to queue for anything really.

Just some of the incredible range of kit brought by the Highendheadphones guys & girls.

The new Chord Dave.  Super expensive, and sounds it too. Super detailed, super clear, clean, fast, dynamic...sounds neutral to me, uncoloured. Looks crazy. Made the HE-1000 sound fast and engaging (only a few amps did that today). 

Mini Pedalhead #1 enjoying the Chord Dave.  "Wow Dad, these HD600s scale well". In my imagination she really said that.

Selfie with my HE-1000s and Dave, which made for a great pairing.  I think the clean, fast & neutral Dave suits the HE-1000, which I do feel can sound uninvolving unless paired well. A whole world away from the TT (that didn't impress me much when I had one for a few weeks). Shame about Dave's price!

@ElectroMod Mark brought his Schiit and MrSpeakers goodness. Sadly the Ether C weren't there but nevertheless we spent a lot of time playing with the Yggy/Rag and Gumby/Mjr2 combos.  Mark was also a total gent and even let mini Pedalhead #1 borrow his iPhone to play some games when she was getting a bit tired near the end of the day.

Gungnir multi-bit DAC with Mjolnir 2 amp. A super combo with with bags of resolution and power.

For me, the Yggy/Rag pairing was a definite step up from the Gungnir/Mjr2 (in price as well of course).  I felt it was just a bit more open sounding, and voices sounded a little more natural. Made the HE-1000s sing. I'm saving up for an Yggy...

Stax SR-007mkII.  Mini Pedalhead #2 liked this.

An 8-yr-old with attitude....and a pair of Stax SR-009s
cool.gif
Have to say, I thought the 009s sounded very ordinary out of the SRM-007tII...absolutely nothing like as impressive as the 009/BHSE combo at Canjam.

Chord 2Cute

Mini Pedalhead #2 in the zone with Obravo HAMT-1

Trilogy 933 - this was one of the few amps that I felt drove my HE-1000s well.  I've never heard of them, but this one really impressed me.

Trilogy 931 - Excellent bang for buck amp. Not as impressive as the 933, but about half the price I think.

There were also of course many speaker systems on show, ranging from unimpressive to downright incredible.

The Devialet Phantom is incredible.  Two little space-balls, one big room full of dynamic sound.

Back to headphone kit....Fosgate Signature.  Reminded me (in looks) of a Mapletree MAD HD2 I used to have. Apparently no good for planars (same as the MAD I think).

A 6-yr-old in the zone with the Abyss/McIntosh combo. "They didn't fit very well" she said.  Yup, pretty much how I feel every time I listen to them. I'm not a fan of the mids on the Abyss, seem a bit recessed to me.

Another one of the few amps at the show (that I tried) that I thought made the HE-1000s sing. Wonderfully dynamic and refined sound.  Money no object, this would be near the top of my list.

Mini Pedalhead #1 enjoying a portable Sennheiser rig.

Paul, the very friendly owner of Highendheadphones.co.uk. I think I've piqued his interest to be a sponsor for the 2016 UK Head-Fi meet. That could be something special, they have a huge selection of fantastic gear.

HE-1000s got the thumbs up from mini Pedalhead #2. Apart from the fit.  I mean, they're barely small enough to fit my head!

Pioneer SE Master-1.  I listened to these at Canjam but it was quite noisy at the time so I didn't feel I could take much away from it.  This time it was much quieter so I had a decent listen.  I feel they do almost everything right, but unfortunately I found the bass a bit boomy and overblown. Nice though, and maybe a solid buy as a future investment if they really are limited to 1000 units.

...the matching Pioneer amp.

Mini Pedalhead #1's favourite of the day - the Oppo PM2.

Mini Pedalhead #2's favourite of the day - the Audioquest Nighthawk. (Big thanks to Nick @ Audioquest for being such a gent as always).

So, overall I thought it was an excellent show, with a great turnout of exhibitors for headphone enthusiasts. In the end, I found the following sounded great with the HE-1000s:  Chord Dave, Schiit Yggy/Rag (and to a lesser extent, the GungnirMB/Mjr2), McIntosh MHA100, Trilogy 933. Time to start saving...!

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 36
Excellent summation of a superb event by the look of it, so thanks for your thoughts and great photo's Mark and helpers. :)

We are definitely in a golden age of fantastic equipment for headphone enthusiasts, as there is so much superlative gear around at the moment.

Cheers,
Andy.

P.S. Mark (Electromod) is indeed a true gent and a thoroughly nice guy too.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 36
thanks for your feedback on the DAVE.

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 36
No problem mate. Are you still investigating the Stax 009? Have to say, I thought it sounded really ordinary through the Stax amp. Nothing like the super detailed & engaging sound with the BHSE at Canjam London.

Yes still invertigating.

What is 100% sure for me is that IF I purchase a SR009, it willbe with a BHSE. Since it was THIS combo that Impressed me so much at CanJam London, I will never take the risk of going for a lower AMP.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 36
bmichels, are you contemplating buying a Nagra HD DAC? Is the Chord DAVE still on your radar? I have ordered a DAVE and am optimistic that it will sound astonishingly good - according to pedalhead's remarks and preliminary reports from other people I won't be disappointed. :)

Yes still invertigating.

What is 100% sure for me is that IF I purchase a SR009, it willbe with a BHSE. Since it was THIS combo that Impressed me so much at CanJam London, I will never take the risk of going for a lower AMP.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 36
excellent summary and pics Mark, really wish I'd not been working this weekend...next year maybe.  Looks like there was more headphone gear than last year as well.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 36
bmichels, are you contemplating buying a Nagra HD DAC? Is the Chord DAVE still on your radar? I have ordered a DAVE and am optimistic that it will sound astonishingly good - according to pedalhead's remarks and preliminary reports from other people I won't be disappointed. :)

yes still considering booth, the DAVE and the NAGRA (as well as the TotalDAC D-1), all of them with the option to use them to drive DIRECTLY my Headphones WITHOUT the need for an external Headphone Amp.  

So I will be very interested in your feed-back about the DAVE...

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 36
thanks for your impression mr :
  1. pedalhead :  I love the pictures of your 2 cute girls , they looks happy :
  2. can you help me : I'm planing to save for dave or yggy , since you love your HE-1000 with both  yggy and Dave .

--could you describe the sound differences between them ? which one you prefer ?  and why ?
           --last thing can you tell if your HE-1000 sound so diff. from dave to yggy ?
                --what about the headstage and imaging which one was better dave or yggy ?

Thanks

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 36
No HiFiMan EF6,@pedalhead comparison? I thought it sounded beautiful with the HE-1000 at CanJam. :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 36
  thanks for your impression mr :
  1. pedalhead :  I love the pictures of your 2 cute girls , they looks happy :
  2. can you help me : I'm planing to save for dave or yggy , since you love your HE-1000 with both  yggy and Dave .

--could you describe the sound differences between them ? which one you prefer ?  and why ?
           --last thing can you tell if your HE-1000 sound so diff. from dave to yggy ?
                --what about the headstage and imaging which one was better dave or yggy ?

Thanks

Thanks Raika, the girls really enjoyed it, and were very good about turning the volume down before inserting headphones etc. I think I have a couple of budding audiophiles there
L3000.gif

It's really hard to compare Yggy/Rag with the Dave as I didn't hear them side by side.  However, I can say that the Dave had a level of clarity that I think was unmatched with anything else I heard on the day. It sounded like one of those amps that have absolute blackness between the notes, very very technically proficient and also I found it very engaging with the HE1000 (not many amps did this). I'd classify the sound as very "audiophile", if you know what I mean. Whether this would translate into a natural sound, I'm not sure, and would need more time with it to figure out. I bet the Dave is super revealing though.

The Yggy/Rag sounded great too, it's a combination I really enjoy. Honestly, it didn't blow me away like the Dave did, but part of that could have been visual bias and knowing the Dave was £8k - I do believe there is often more than just our ears doing the listening at times like this! If I had to describe this combo, I'd say Yggy/Rag was indeed a natural sound - I think the Yggy is mainly responsible here and I also noticed this "natural" quality when I listened to it at Canjam. Soundstage on the Yggy/Rag was a small step up from the Gungnir MB/Mjolnir2 combo.  I only know this as I was instantly A/B'ing them with the same source feed.  I can't compare with the Dave as I heard them some time apart, but I certainly didn't feel either suffered on this score.

These two systems were right up there with the best headphone rigs I've ever heard, so we're definitely into splitting hairs I think!  I do feel the Schiit gear is superb value for what you get, though if I were in the market for something at this price, I'd definitely be getting a home demo.  Have a chat to Mark @ElectroMod as he offers extended home demos on the Schiit gear. When I have enough to consider an Yggy I'll be taking him up on it. Enjoy the process, it's a great priviledge to be able to consider wonderful gear like this
smily_headphones1.gif

No HiFiMan EF6,@pedalhead comparison? I thought it sounded beautiful with the HE-1000 at CanJam. :)

Hi matey.  I didn't see an EF6 at the show.  You're right though, it sounded great with the HE1000 at Canjam. Andy's going to be bringing some very tasty stuff to our mini meet that should in theory smoke the EF6
beerchug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back