Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest
Jul 4, 2005 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
This was televised this afternoon on ESPN live from Coney Island NY, 12 minutes to eat as many hot dogs with buns as possible:

Contest

Winner once again was Kobayashi with 49 dogs this year. The interesting thing to watch was the size of the competitiors and technique used to speed eat, the very large obese size eaters did not even come close to the small Kobayashi who weighs under 150 lbs!

Even more amazing was 2nd place American/Asian finisher female Sonya Thomas who weighs only @100lbs,,,,,,,,,she did 37. They were placed next to each other during competition. Something interesting to watch on 4th
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 31
I watched that last year on espn. It's really incredible when you think about how they fit all those hot dogs into their small bodies compared to the slightly, larger sized competitors. Did Sonya break her own record? I remember she ate a number way lower than 37.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 31
Don't let Kobayashi's size fool you, he trains around the year in Japan for eating contests and all I can say is he can eat a heck of a lot. I saw an episode on the Food Network once where they did a story on Kobayashi and followed him into a restaurant where he proceeded to order items he would consume at one sitting during his training. He had enough food on his table to feed a 500+ lb Sumo wrestler and he easily ate all of what he ordered.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 31
Any scientists needing to study a black hole should just open up Kobayashi's stomach. Seriously, it's amazing the sheer quantity of food he can eat, especially while staying his size!

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 31
Not only did Ms. Thomas break her own record - she broke the American record as well! NOt quite Kobayashi level (or even close) but truly amazing.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 31
What I really want to see is an unlimited eating contest.
Something with say a 1 hour timeframe. That would be much
more fun to watch.

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Any scientists needing to study a black hole should just open up Kobayashi's stomach. Seriously, it's amazing the sheer quantity of food he can eat, especially while staying his size!

My only logical conclusion is that he's bulimic.

I find these eating contests, where the eater is skinny, to be very very sad.

Best,

-Jason

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Not only did Ms. Thomas break her own record - she broke the American record as well! NOt quite Kobayashi level (or even close) but truly amazing.

Both Kobayashi & Sonya Thomas employed the same technique:

Remove dog from bun and eat, then dip bun in liquid and eat.....this supposed to require less chewing. Of course both also drank liquid often to wash food down.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 31
My prediction is that the hot dog eating contests will end when one of the contestants dies on the spot. Of course they have all signed the waivers exculpating ESPN and all sponsors from any liability, but it's the negative publicity that will follow the nonsensical death that will kill the event.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 31
While I love to eat as much as the next chap, something strikes me as vaguely obscene about these eating contests. Hot dogs are delicious, but I am not enthralled by seeing people shove scores of them into their face. A more worthy contest is marathon dancing. There is nothing more uplifting than the living dead shuffle about like marionettes missing a string for a chance at a car or other material goods.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
hot dog eating contests will end when one of the contestants dies on the spot

Haha, that guy amazes me. I had my normal stuff (no lunch) but a chip-snack at about 3 oclock to eat today and all I could muster for dinner was a burger and a wiener, sheesh.

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 31
I got through one minute of that video, then said to myself...

"Why in the holy hell am I watching this??"

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
I got through one minute of that video, then said to myself...

"Why in the holy hell am I watching this??"

Train Wreck Effect.
You cannot watch. You know you should not watch. You cannot turn away.

Jul 5, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
Train Wreck Effect.
You cannot watch. You know you should not watch. You cannot turn away.

couldnt agree more.. roflmao!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back